1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternative to 'Introduction to Quantum Mechanics' by Griffiths

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    We just started the course on Quantum Mechanics and this is the 'official' textbook we're using. I have heard many people speak fondly of this book and so far I do like that the author writes in a colloquial style. However, reading it, I feel dumb. Schrodingers equation is just thrown out there right at the start without any explanation or introduction and it seems like I'm just expected to understand it. Problems are also difficult and I can't really solve most of them. Example problems are far and few in between. I like to self-learn and I'm having a hard time doing that with this book. Anyone know of an alternative? Preferably one with lots of worked out problems.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2
    I remember that Dicke and Wittke had many problems that are doable. I used it as a confidence builder when learning quantum mechanics.

4. Sep 22, 2010 #3
    I understand your difficulties, as that is what I'm suing right now, as well. At first problems were quite difficult, but I feel that I have developed a very strong grasp of the concepts, after struggling to figure out problems on my own. Now I feel fluent in the language Griffiths uses, and the arguments flow smoothly in my mind. If you do find an alternative, I would recommend at least keeping Griffiths as a supplement, as he is pretty thourough.

5. Sep 23, 2010 #4
  6. Sep 23, 2010 #5
    Geez, people will sue over anything!

7. Oct 5, 2010 #6
    https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Quantum-Mechanics-Gary-Bowman/dp/0199228930/" by gary bowman would be a great supplement to griffiths, especially since the notation is very similar between the two books. bowman's book isn't really a textbook and is written almost specifically to help supplement other textbooks and courses. there is also a solutions manual for griffiths' book, but use caution as you don't want to rely on constantly looking up the solution.

another thing that i think would help with this text would be to review your linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations notes and textbooks. having a solid recollection and understanding of these subjects helps you concentrate on the physics principles without getting lost in the calculations.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  8. Oct 5, 2010 #7
    also, don't worry about not understanding schrodinger's equation from the get go. this text is more getting you used to being able to work with it and use it to solve problems, and not to be able to derive it. griffiths' book is really great in that it helps you get dirty with working through a bunch of calculations and problems, letting you learn the more abstract theory later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook