Alternative to 'Introduction to Quantum Mechanics' by Griffiths

In summary, this textbook is difficult to understand and the problems are difficult to solve. There is an alternative textbook, Gary Bowman's "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications", which is a supplement to Griffiths and is written more specifically to help supplement other textbooks and courses. Reviewing your Linear Algebra, Calculus, and Differential Equations notes and textbooks may help you concentrate on the physics principles without getting lost in the calculations. Schrodingers equation is introduced without explanation, and the reader is expected to understand it immediately. problems are also difficult and it can be difficult to solve them. However, after struggling with the problems on their own, the reader may be able to understand the concepts better after supplementing the book with another
Shukie
We just started the course on Quantum Mechanics and this is the 'official' textbook we're using. I have heard many people speak fondly of this book and so far I do like that the author writes in a colloquial style. However, reading it, I feel dumb. Schrodingers equation is just thrown out there right at the start without any explanation or introduction and it seems like I'm just expected to understand it. Problems are also difficult and I can't really solve most of them. Example problems are far and few in between. I like to self-learn and I'm having a hard time doing that with this book. Anyone know of an alternative? Preferably one with lots of worked out problems.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shukie said:
We just started the course on Quantum Mechanics and this is the 'official' textbook we're using. I have heard many people speak fondly of this book and so far I do like that the author writes in a colloquial style. However, reading it, I feel dumb. Schrodingers equation is just thrown out there right at the start without any explanation or introduction and it seems like I'm just expected to understand it. Problems are also difficult and I can't really solve most of them. Example problems are far and few in between. I like to self-learn and I'm having a hard time doing that with this book. Anyone know of an alternative? Preferably one with lots of worked out problems.

I remember that Dicke and Wittke had many problems that are doable. I used it as a confidence builder when learning quantum mechanics.

I understand your difficulties, as that is what I'm suing right now, as well. At first problems were quite difficult, but I feel that I have developed a very strong grasp of the concepts, after struggling to figure out problems on my own. Now I feel fluent in the language Griffiths uses, and the arguments flow smoothly in my mind. If you do find an alternative, I would recommend at least keeping Griffiths as a supplement, as he is pretty thourough.

Wishe Deom said:
I understand your difficulties, as that is what I'm suing right now, as well.

Geez, people will sue over anything!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199228930/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by gary bowman would be a great supplement to griffiths, especially since the notation is very similar between the two books. bowman's book isn't really a textbook and is written almost specifically to help supplement other textbooks and courses. there is also a solutions manual for griffiths' book, but use caution as you don't want to rely on constantly looking up the solution.

another thing that i think would help with this text would be to review your linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations notes and textbooks. having a solid recollection and understanding of these subjects helps you concentrate on the physics principles without getting lost in the calculations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shukie said:
Schrodingers equation is just thrown out there right at the start without any explanation or introduction and it seems like I'm just expected to understand it.

also, don't worry about not understanding schrodinger's equation from the get go. this text is more getting you used to being able to work with it and use it to solve problems, and not to be able to derive it. griffiths' book is really great in that it helps you get dirty with working through a bunch of calculations and problems, letting you learn the more abstract theory later.

What are the key differences between "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths and other textbooks on the same subject?

Some of the key differences include the level of mathematical rigor, the depth of coverage on certain topics, and the overall writing style and approach to teaching the subject. Griffiths' book is known for its clear and concise explanations, while other textbooks may be more technical and detailed in their approach.

Are there any online resources or supplementary materials available to accompany "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths?

Yes, there are several online resources and supplementary materials available for Griffiths' book, including lecture notes, practice problems, and solution manuals. These can be found on the author's website or through other online platforms.

How does "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths compare to other popular textbooks in terms of readability and accessibility?

Many readers find Griffiths' book to be more approachable and easier to understand compared to other popular textbooks on quantum mechanics. The author's writing style and use of analogies make complex concepts more accessible to readers with varying levels of background knowledge.

Is "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths suitable for self-study or is it better suited for classroom use?

Griffiths' book is often used in both self-study and classroom settings. Its clear explanations and well-organized structure make it a popular choice for independent learners, while its use of examples and exercises make it a valuable resource for instructors in a classroom setting.

What are some criticisms or limitations of "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths?

Some critics have noted that Griffiths' book may not provide enough mathematical detail or depth for advanced students of quantum mechanics. Additionally, some readers may find the writing style too simplistic or lacking in mathematical rigor. However, the book continues to be widely used and praised by many as an excellent introduction to the subject.