Why Do Railcars Use Inverters with Alternators?

In summary, the diesel railcars use engines connected to alternators, which then connect to static inverters to power the electrical systems. The purpose of the inverters is to stabilize the frequency of the AC power flowing from the alternators, which is necessary for the train to run at a desired speed. This is achieved through the use of Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs). VFDs are also commonly used in other industries for controlling the speed of various equipment.
john13
Hi everyone

I am currently working with diesel railcars. To power the electrical systems, we have engines connected to alternators, which then connect to static inverters. The auxiliary power system runs off the static inverters, initially at 415V AC but distributed throughout the railcars at 415V AC, 240V AC, 21V AC, 65V AC and 24V DC.

I don't understand the purpose of the inverters here. I understand that the alternators convert the engines' DC potential to AC. So do the inverters simply stabilise the frequency of the AC power flowing from the alternators? Or do they do something else?

Many thanks for any help you can offer with this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

If you remove the diodes, the frequency of the AC will vary with engine RPM. The rated frequency is also unlikely to be the 50 or 60 hertz you expect.

john13 said:
I understand that the alternators convert the engines' DC potential rotational energy to AC.
As @anorlunda stated, the AC output of the alternators will change frequency with engine speed. The AC is fed to the inverters, and the inverters convert it AC at the desired stable frequency and voltage(s).

Diesel-Electric drive systems take power from the alternators, through an inverter, and convert it to AC at a variable frequency. The frequency is varied according to the desired train speed. The higher the frequency, the faster the traction motors will turn. These are called Variable Frequency Drives, or VFDs.

VFDs are also used in industry, often to drive pumps or conveyer belts at a desired , controllable, speed.

Many thanks for these very informative replies.

I'm a trainee driver, not an engineer, so this sort of stuff is a bit beyond my area of professional competence. But I do like understanding the underlying principles.

Likes Tom.G and CWatters

What is an alternator with inverter?

An alternator with inverter is a device that combines the function of an alternator, which converts mechanical energy into electrical energy, with an inverter, which converts direct current (DC) into alternating current (AC). It is commonly used in vehicles to power electronic devices and appliances.

How does an alternator with inverter work?

The alternator portion of the device uses a rotor and stator to generate electricity through the process of electromagnetic induction. This electrical energy is then passed through the inverter, which converts it from DC to AC, allowing it to be used by household appliances.

What are the benefits of using an alternator with inverter?

One of the main benefits of using an alternator with inverter is its versatility. It can be used in both vehicles and stationary applications. It also allows for the use of AC-powered devices and appliances while on the go. Additionally, it can serve as a backup power source in case of a power outage.

How do I choose the right alternator with inverter for my needs?

The right alternator with inverter will depend on your specific power needs. Consider the wattage requirements of the devices and appliances you plan to power with it. It is also important to choose one with the appropriate voltage and current ratings for your vehicle or application.

What are some common maintenance tasks for an alternator with inverter?

Regular maintenance for an alternator with inverter includes checking and replacing the drive belt, checking the connections and wiring, and cleaning the components to ensure proper functioning. It is also important to monitor the battery and replace it when necessary.