Always a point between two others

• Thread starter PingPong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the given conversation discusses a sketch for a proof that there is always a point X between two distinct points A and B. The proof utilizes the Pasch axiom and requires points P, Q, and R to be chosen in a specific manner. The justifications for the chosen steps are as follows: 1) P is chosen to not be on the line containing points A and B, 2) Q is chosen to be between B and Q, 3) Q is not equal to A, 4) R is chosen to be between A and R, 5) R is not equal to P, 6) B cannot be on the line containing points R and P, 7) A cannot be on the
PingPong

Homework Statement

Below is a sketch for a proof that for any distinct points A and B, there is always a point X between them:

Take P not on [tex]\overleftrightarrow{AB}[/tex] and Q with P between B and Q. Now take R with Q between A and R. The Pasch axiom shows that [tex]\overleftrightarrow{RP}[/tex] crosses AB.

Write down justifications for the steps below:
1) Why is there P not in [tex]\overleftrightarrow{AB}[/tex]?
2) Why is there Q with P between B and Q?
3) Why is Q not equal to A?
4) Why is there R with Q between A and R?
5) Why is R not equal to P?
6) Why is B not on [tex]\overleftrightarrow{RP}[/tex]?
7) Why is A not on [tex]\overleftrightarrow{RP}[/tex]?
8) Why is Q not on [tex]\overleftrightarrow{RP}[/tex]?
9) Why does [tex]\overleftrightarrow{RP}[/tex] not cross AQ?

Homework Equations

The Hilbert axioms for plane geometry.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been able to get the first 5 steps which are quite easy. But 6-8 have been giving me trouble. I can see that they're important because they're setting up using the Pasch axiom, but I can't figure out why they are true based by starting with the axioms.

For 6, I can see (if I draw a picture) then R=Q, which means that R is between A and itself (which can't be). So I can intuitively see that they don't work, but I'm not sure how to put it together.

Any help please? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Er, couldn't you just find do a quick constructive proof by finding the midpoints between two points?

What does "Always a point between two others" mean?

"Always a point between two others" is a mathematical concept that refers to a point lying between two other points on a line, regardless of how close or far apart those points are. This point is considered to be the midpoint between the two other points.

How is the midpoint between two points calculated?

The midpoint between two points can be calculated by finding the average of the x and y coordinates of the two points. This can be represented by the formula (x1 + x2)/2 for the x-coordinate and (y1 + y2)/2 for the y-coordinate. The resulting point will be the midpoint between the two original points.

What is the significance of "Always a point between two others" in geometry?

In geometry, "Always a point between two others" is significant because it allows for the identification and measurement of midpoints. This concept is used in various geometric proofs and constructions, such as bisecting a line segment or constructing perpendicular bisectors.

Can there be more than one point between two others?

No, there can only be one point between two others. This is because the midpoint is unique and represents the center or balance point between the two points. Any other point on the line would not have the same distance from both points, making it not the midpoint.

How is "Always a point between two others" used in real-world applications?

The concept of "Always a point between two others" is used in various real-world applications, such as navigation and mapmaking. It is also used in construction and architecture for finding and creating symmetrical designs. In addition, this concept is utilized in physics and engineering for calculating the center of mass of objects.