1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Always a point between two others

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Below is a sketch for a proof that for any distinct points A and B, there is always a point X between them:

Take P not on [tex]\overleftrightarrow{AB}[/tex] and Q with P between B and Q. Now take R with Q between A and R. The Pasch axiom shows that [tex]\overleftrightarrow{RP}[/tex] crosses AB.

Write down justifications for the steps below:
    1) Why is there P not in [tex]\overleftrightarrow{AB}[/tex]?
    2) Why is there Q with P between B and Q?
    3) Why is Q not equal to A?
    4) Why is there R with Q between A and R?
    5) Why is R not equal to P?
    6) Why is B not on [tex]\overleftrightarrow{RP}[/tex]?
    7) Why is A not on [tex]\overleftrightarrow{RP}[/tex]?
    8) Why is Q not on [tex]\overleftrightarrow{RP}[/tex]?
    9) Why does [tex]\overleftrightarrow{RP}[/tex] not cross AQ?

2. Relevant equations

The Hilbert axioms for plane geometry.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've been able to get the first 5 steps which are quite easy. But 6-8 have been giving me trouble. I can see that they're important because they're setting up using the Pasch axiom, but I can't figure out why they are true based by starting with the axioms.

For 6, I can see (if I draw a picture) then R=Q, which means that R is between A and itself (which can't be). So I can intuitively see that they don't work, but I'm not sure how to put it together.

Any help please? Thanks in advance.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Er, couldn't you just find do a quick constructive proof by finding the midpoints between two points?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?