Am I doing this correctly? (s domain analysis)

In summary, the switch in the circuit has been closed for a long time and is opened at t = 0. The current through the inductor decreases as the switch is opened, until it reaches a steady state value.
seang
The switch in the following circuit has been close for a long time and is opened at t = 0. Transform the circuit into the s doman and solve for Isubl(s) and Isubl(t) in symbolic form.

I've only found Isubl(s) so far, and I want to see how I'm doing before I convert it back to the time domain. I hope my work is clear; I used the t < 0 circuit to find out the inductors initial current, then used superposition to find the final current.

How am I doing? Thanks alot.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 360
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you found the intial current incorrectly. Since the switched has been closed for a long time, then we can safely assume that the circuit is in steady state. This means that the inductor is acts like a perfect conductor or simply a wire. Then the intial current is actually

[tex]I_0 = \frac {V_a}{R}[/tex]

Ok, so is it customary to find hte IC before converting the circuit to the s domain? Because I intuitively knew that an inductor was a short circuit in a DC setting, but regardless, its impedance in the s domain is Ls, right? How does this work?

EDIT: I guess it shouldn't matter, right?

So the formula you presented is in the time domain, right?
its s domain equivalent would be

[tex]I_0(s) = \frac {V_a}{sR}[/tex]

yay?

Last edited:
Yes you need to find the intial conditions before transforming the circuit into the s domain. The equation I wrote is in s domain already. No need to modify it. The battery that is introduced in the s domain should be

[tex]LI_0 = L \frac {Va}{R}[/tex]

The impedance of the inductor in the s domain is indeed sL.

After you transform the circuit into the s domain, write a KVL to obtain

[tex]\frac {Va}{s} + 2R I(s) + sL I(s) + L \frac {Va}{R} = 0[/tex]

So I factor, move the I(s) term over, then divide, is this correct?[tex]\frac{VaR}{sR} + \frac{SLVa}{sR} = -I(s)(2R + sL)I(s) = \frac{-Va}{R} \ast \frac{(R + sL)}{s(2R + sL)} [/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Am I doing this correctly? (s domain analysis)

What is the purpose of "s domain analysis"?

The purpose of s domain analysis is to analyze a system's behavior and performance by representing it in the frequency domain using complex numbers.

How do I know if my s domain analysis is correct?

The best way to ensure the correctness of your s domain analysis is to carefully follow the steps and equations involved in the analysis process, and to double-check your calculations for accuracy.

What are the common mistakes made in s domain analysis?

Some common mistakes made in s domain analysis include incorrect application of formulas, using incorrect values for system parameters, and not considering the initial conditions of the system.

Why is s domain analysis important in science and engineering?

S domain analysis is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as electrical circuits, control systems, and signal processing systems. This information can then be used to design and optimize these systems for specific applications.

Are there any tools or software programs that can assist with s domain analysis?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can assist with s domain analysis, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple. These programs can help with complex calculations and provide visual representations of the system's behavior.