Am i doing this right?/convergence of sequences

• Thread starter miglo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
It is not the same as the other problem; the function is different.In summary, the problem involves finding the limit of a sequence, which can be rewritten as a function. By using properties of logarithms and the definition of a limit, it can be shown that the limit is equal to e^{-1}.
miglo

Homework Statement

[tex]a_n=(\frac{1}{n})^{\frac{1}{\ln{n}}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}(\frac{1}{n})^{\frac{1}{\ln{n}}}[/tex]
[tex]y=(\frac{1}{n})^{\frac{1}{\ln{n}}}[/tex]
[tex]\ln{y}=\frac{\ln{\frac{1}{n}}}{\ln{n}}[/tex]
[tex]\ln{y}=\frac{\ln{1}-\ln{n}}{\ln{n}}[/tex]
[tex]\ln{y}=\frac{\ln{1}}{\ln{n}}-\frac{\ln{n}}{\ln{n}}[/tex]
[tex]\ln{y}=0-1[/tex]
[tex]e^{\ln{y}}=e^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}(\frac{1}{n})^{\frac{1}{\ln{n}}}=e^{-1}[/tex]

the back of my book says the answer is indeed [itex]e^{-1}[/itex] but I am not sure if this is the way to go to for the solution or whether I am supposed to rewrite it as something similar to [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{x}{n})^{n}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You steps are fine. That problem gives a constant sequence, just written in a non-obvious way.

1. What is the definition of convergence of sequences?

The convergence of sequences is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a sequence as its terms get closer and closer to a particular value, called the limit. It means that as the sequence progresses, the terms become more and more similar to each other, eventually approaching the limit value.

2. How can I determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent?

To determine convergence of a sequence, you can use various tests such as the Limit Test, Comparison Test, or Ratio Test. These tests involve examining the behavior of the terms in the sequence and comparing them to known sequences that are either convergent or divergent. By using these tests, you can determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent.

3. What is the importance of convergence of sequences in mathematics?

The concept of convergence of sequences is essential in many branches of mathematics, such as calculus, analysis, and topology. It allows us to understand the behavior of functions and sequences and make predictions about their values. It also helps in solving problems involving infinite series and calculating limits.

4. Can a sequence converge to more than one limit?

No, a sequence can only converge to one limit. If a sequence has two or more different limits, it is considered to be divergent. However, it is possible for a sequence to have no limit at all, in which case it is also considered to be divergent.

5. How is the convergence of sequences related to the real numbers?

The concept of convergence of sequences is closely related to the real numbers. In fact, the real numbers can be thought of as a complete set of numbers, where every convergent sequence has a limit within the set. This means that the real numbers allow for the convergence of any sequence, making them a fundamental part of understanding the behavior of sequences in mathematics.