Navigating a Busy College Schedule: My Experience and Tips

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's college experience and their struggle with balancing work and studying for challenging subjects. They prioritize the learning experience over grades and express difficulty in truly understanding all the material. The speaker plans to study more deeply in the summer and asks for advice from others who may have similar experiences. An example is given of the overwhelming amount of material covered in one lecture, leading to the conclusion that the speaker does not have enough time to devote to their school work.
brunopinto90
Hey guys,

I have something to say, is not a question, i just want some guidelines about me college experience.

Here is some background info:

Currently, i am working 40 hours a week (Monday-Friday) and lectures in
college at night (Electric Engineering), 18 hours a week with 4 subjects: Multivariable Calculus,
Linear Algebra, Probability and Stats, Physics I.

I am doing fine, i got decent grades, i actually don´t care about grades, but rather the learning
experience.
Now, there is just too much to learn. Some material i understand, others i merely memorize facts and don´t think much about it.

I`m in college for the experience and the joy of learning, something i am not enjoying it, studying just for the grade and not actually
enjoying and learn the materiel.

Because i don´t learn the first time, i keep constantly checking my notes to do the exercises.

I am planning on sutyding the material better and deeper in the incoming summer.

Do you feel like this? What did you do? Its like a itchy in my brain that i can´t sratch I always feel anxious and excited.

I give you a concrete example:

I am studying Multivarible Calculus or Calculus II which has some introductory lessons on Complex Analysis:

- Complex Variable Functions
- Complex paths
- Derivatives and Integrals in the Complex Plane
- Laurent Series
- Cauchy-Riemann Equations
- Harmonic Functions

The professor taught all of this in a 3 hour lecture! The test was due in a week!How we are supposed to understand all the material with just one week to the test?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like your professor expects a lot of self studying. My suggestion would be to join a study group for your class and work with others. Also are you a part time student? Do you fee that you get enough time to devote to your school work?

Well, you're probably learning and what you're experiencing is pretty common. The ability to truly understand everything you are taught in a class is a bit rare. For example, in my educational life, I've been exposed to linear algebra 5 times. Twice in undergraduate, 3 times in graduate school. While I did well in the class each time, I found that after each new exposure I realized that I didn't understand the topic as well as I thought I did.

So with that said, I wouldn't expect to have complete mastery over a subject because you took it once. It usually requires repetitive and constant use for something to sink in. Thus the answer to your question is: You're not. But you should be able to understand it well enough for the test.

bluechic92 said:
Do you fee that you get enough time to devote to your school work?

In my opinion, I do not think that brunopinto90 has enough time available to adequately study these subjects.

40 hours of work + 72 hours of school (3 hours work outside of lectures for each hour of lectures) = 112 hours.

This is 16 hours per day, seven days a week.

Likes CalcNerd

1. How can I effectively manage my time and balance my busy college schedule?

To manage your time effectively, it is important to create a schedule and prioritize your tasks. Make a list of all your responsibilities and assignments, and set specific times for completing each one. Also, make sure to schedule breaks and time for self-care to avoid burnout. Additionally, try to eliminate any distractions, such as social media or unnecessary commitments, during your scheduled study time.

2. What are some tips for staying organized and on top of my college schedule?

One helpful tip is to use a planner or a calendar to keep track of important dates and deadlines. Color-coding different tasks or courses can also help you stay organized. Another useful strategy is to break larger tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks and tackle them one at a time. This can help prevent feeling overwhelmed and ensure that you are making progress on all your responsibilities.

3. How can I prioritize my commitments and avoid overloading my schedule?

Prioritization is key when it comes to balancing a busy college schedule. Start by identifying your most important commitments, such as classes, exams, or work. Then, consider your personal values and goals and prioritize activities that align with them. It is also important to know your limits and not take on more than you can handle. Don't be afraid to say no or delegate tasks when necessary.

4. How can I stay motivated and focused while juggling a busy college schedule?

To stay motivated, it is important to set realistic goals and track your progress. Celebrate small successes and acknowledge when you have completed a task or reached a milestone. It can also be helpful to find an accountability partner, such as a friend or classmate, who can help keep you on track. Additionally, make sure to take breaks and engage in activities that bring you joy and help you recharge.

5. How can I handle unexpected changes or conflicts in my college schedule?

It is important to be flexible and adaptable when dealing with unexpected changes or conflicts in your schedule. One strategy is to have a backup plan in case something comes up, such as a missed class or an unexpected assignment. Additionally, communicate with your professors or advisors if you are facing conflicting obligations, as they may be able to provide guidance or accommodations. Remember to also prioritize your mental and physical well-being and adjust your schedule accordingly when needed.