1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Am i learning?

1. Jun 14, 2016 #1
    Hey guys,

I have something to say, is not a question, i just want some guidelines about me college experience.

Here is some background info:

Currently, i am working 40 hours a week (Monday-Friday) and lectures in
    college at night (Electric Engineering), 18 hours a week with 4 subjects: Multivariable Calculus,
    Linear Algebra, Probability and Stats, Physics I.

I am doing fine, i got decent grades, i actually don´t care about grades, but rather the learning
    experience.
    Now, there is just too much to learn. Some material i understand, others i merely memorize facts and don´t think much about it.

I`m in college for the experience and the joy of learning, something i am not enjoying it, studying just for the grade and not actually
    enjoying and learn the materiel.

Because i don´t learn the first time, i keep constantly checking my notes to do the exercises.

I am planning on sutyding the material better and deeper in the incoming summer.

Do you feel like this? What did you do? Its like a itchy in my brain that i can´t sratch I always feel anxious and excited.

I give you a concrete example:

I am studying Multivarible Calculus or Calculus II which has some introductory lessons on Complex Analysis:

- Complex Variable Functions
    - Complex paths
    - Derivatives and Integrals in the Complex Plane
    - Laurent Series
    - Cauchy-Riemann Equations
    - Harmonic Functions

The professor taught all of this in a 3 hour lecture! The test was due in a week!

How we are supposed to understand all the material with just one week to the test?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2016 #2
    It looks like your professor expects a lot of self studying. My suggestion would be to join a study group for your class and work with others. Also are you a part time student? Do you fee that you get enough time to devote to your school work?

4. Jun 15, 2016 #3

MarneMath

Education Advisor

Well, you're probably learning and what you're experiencing is pretty common. The ability to truly understand everything you are taught in a class is a bit rare. For example, in my educational life, I've been exposed to linear algebra 5 times. Twice in undergraduate, 3 times in graduate school. While I did well in the class each time, I found that after each new exposure I realized that I didn't understand the topic as well as I thought I did.

So with that said, I wouldn't expect to have complete mastery over a subject because you took it once. It usually requires repetitive and constant use for something to sink in. Thus the answer to your question is: You're not. But you should be able to understand it well enough for the test.

5. Jun 15, 2016 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In my opinion, I do not think that brunopinto90 has enough time available to adequately study these subjects.

40 hours of work + 72 hours of school (3 hours work outside of lectures for each hour of lectures) = 112 hours.

This is 16 hours per day, seven days a week.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted