Am I looking at the right Physics textbook?

In summary, the college graduate is reading and doing the problems in Physics fundamentals 10th edition by walker, Holliday, and resnick. This will take a good amount of time, so before he gets too far with it, he would like to ask you if you think this is a good use of time, or if you think there is another approach he should take, or a book that is more insightful.
sassafrasaxe
Hi, I'm a college graduate, and I don't know if or when I'll ever get a graduate degree. But I wanted to try learn and get very knowledgeable in physics on my own at my own pace. Right now I am reading and doing the problems in Physics fundamentals 10th edition by walker, Holliday, and resnick. I know this will take a good amount of time, so before I get too far with it, I would like to ask you if you think this is a good use of time, or if you think there is another approach I should take, or a book that is more insightful. Thank you. I would love to get a graduate degree in physics one day but with this discipline I am a slow learner.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes sassafrasaxe
The book that you picked is one of the standards for teaching introductory physics and has evolved since its first edition in 1960. It is a good choice if you want to teach yourself out of a book. If you get stuck on a problem, there is always the web (and PF) for help and clarification of concepts that might appear confusing in the book. You also need to understand that, once you complete the introductory physics part, you will need to go over the same basic material at the intermediate level before you might be eligible to apply to grad school. The absolute minimum number of subjects at the intermediate level that you will need consists of Classical Mechanics, Electricity & Magnetism and Quantum Mechanics. A substantial collection of good books exists covering this "backbone" material. Finally, I would recommend that you look at course syllabi posted on the web to guide your thinking about what is considered important and is taught at universities.

Likes CalcNerd and BvU
kuruman said:
you will need to go over the same basic material at the intermediate level before you might be eligible to apply to grad school
Emphasis on the "might." We occasionally get questions here from people who want to get into physics grad school without having formally studied physics at the undergraduate level, i.e. taken courses for credit, participated in research, etc. I don't remember ever seeing anyone report that they succeeded in doing this.

In general, in the US, graduate school admissions in physics requires:

1. suitable formal undergraduate coursework in physics, with at least a 3.0 GPA.
2. an acceptable score in the physics GRE
3. some research experience (not necessarily publications, but enough experience that you and they can tell you're cut out for research)
4. letters of recommendation from professors who know your work.

kuruman said:
The absolute minimum number of subjects at the intermediate level that you will need consists of Classical Mechanics, Electricity & Magnetism and Quantum Mechanics.
I would also include thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, which are sometimes covered in one course, sometimes two.

[added] As others have noted, Halliday/Resnick/Walker has been very widely used for "freshman physics" courses, for many years. I used the second edition (pre-Walker) myself when I was a freshman more than 45 years ago!

There are some other widely used books at the same level, but I suggest that as a supplementary resource you use the Feynman Lectures instead:

http://www.feynmanlectures.info/

Last edited:
Likes sassafrasaxe
All the above comments are good advice. I have a four foot stack of introductory Physics texts we have used over the last 30 years. My favorite is Serway which is used by many universities. The introductory calculus-based courses are usually a total of nine credit hours spread over two or three semesters. The MIT OpenCourseWare videos are worth a look as are the Mechanical Universe series videos on YouTube. I can vaguely remember getting up early to watch Continental Classroom on the telly before heading to work. But that was before color TV.

Likes sassafrasaxe
jtbell said:
I used the second edition (pre-Walker) myself when I was a freshman more than 45 years ago!
Me too! :smile:

Likes sassafrasaxe
Dr Transport said:
Third Edition in '83-84
That was the one I taught from in my first teaching job after grad school. I remember the other profs in the department calling the previous edition the "pumpkin book" because of the orange color, but I don't remember what the third looked like!

Then I moved to my second and final job, and there we always used either Serway or Tipler.

Likes sassafrasaxe
jtbell said:
That was the one I taught from in my first teaching job after grad school. I remember the other profs in the department calling the previous edition the "pumpkin book" because of the orange color, but I don't remember what the third looked like!

Green with a yellow swirl

Likes sassafrasaxe
Thank you all so much for your insightful replies! It certainly has been a year and a half, and I am trying again. I am slow, and a lot has been going on. And I’m sorry too that it took so long to reply to this post. I will try not to make a habit of graveyard posting.
Hearing jtbell say I will need undergraduate courses Worries me since I am not sure if am able to still take undergraduate courses now that I am a graduate. I did take fundamentals of physics I, and I also took Intermediate physics II in undergrad. I did not take quantum or anything else.
I was able to get a free book online in PDF form, called Uniersity Physics and Modern Physics by Young and Freedman, 13th Edition. Is this better or worse than the fundamentals book I have?
Thank you again for all the wonderful suggestions. I will look into them all. I have looked at the Feynman lectures some, and I will return to them again as supplemental material, as well as some of the others.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give Young and Freedman a 7. This text was formerly Sears and Zemansky, a standard text, and was inherited by Young. The first several editions published under his name were replete with errors. Maybe it has been cleaned up by now. One can only hope. Good luck.

Dr Transport said:
Third Edition in '83-84...
I studied from H & R, First Edition (Parts I and II), copyrights 62, 64, and 67.

Mark44 said:
I studied from H & R, First Edition (Parts I and II), copyrights 62, 64, and 67.

My masters advisor TA'd for Resnik at RPI in the '60's...

1. Is this textbook appropriate for my current level of understanding in physics?

It is important to choose a textbook that matches your current level of understanding. If you are a beginner, choose a textbook that starts with the basics and gradually progresses to more advanced topics.

2. Does this textbook cover all the necessary topics in physics?

Different textbooks may cover different topics in physics. It is important to check the table of contents or the course syllabus to ensure that the textbook covers all the necessary topics for your course.

3. Is this textbook up-to-date?

Physics is a constantly evolving field so it is important to choose a textbook that is up-to-date. Check the publication date of the textbook and make sure it is recent enough to cover the latest advancements in the field.

4. Are there any supplementary materials available with this textbook?

Some textbooks may come with supplementary materials such as practice problems, online resources, or solution manuals. These can be helpful in enhancing your understanding of the subject.

5. Is this textbook recommended by experts in the field?

It is always a good idea to do some research and see if the textbook you are considering is recommended by experts in the field. You can also ask your professors or colleagues for their recommendations.