Am I seeing the right stats for this forum?

• Thread starter crackjack
  • Start date
In summary, The homepage of this forum provides the following stats: Threads: 638,474, Posts: 4,515,531, Members: 205,067. These numbers are not counted from the very first day the forum was founded and there was a rebuild at some point resulting in a loss of around 200,000 posts. The current number of posts including deleted ones since 2003 is 4,820,000. It would be nice to have access to the time trends for these metrics.
crackjack
The homepage of this forum gives the following stats:

Threads: 638,474
Members: 205,067

Are these the aggregates since the very first day this forum was founded (ie. 2001)?

May I know what has been the trends for these metrics over time?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think those stats are counted from the very first day the forum was founded. PhysicsForums, as far as I know, got completely rebuilt once, from 0. I believe the stats before that rebuild are not counted there.

crackjack said:
The homepage of this forum gives the following stats:

Threads: 638,474
Members: 205,067

Are these the aggregates since the very first day this forum was founded (ie. 2001)?

May I know what has been the trends for these metrics over time?

As DataGG mentioned, those stats are only starting from some point in 2003. We lost around 200,000 posts when we moved to vBulletin. We also continually prune poor quality threads, posts and members.

ignore[Approximately when were those numbers reset?]

It would be nice to know the time trends for those metrics, like how data.stackexchange provides.

Last edited:
crackjack said:
ignore[Approximately when were those numbers reset?]

It would be nice to know the time trends for those metrics, like how data.stackexchange provides.

Yes it would be nice

Including deleted posts, we are at 4,820,000 since 2003. You can see this number via the postid of each post (part of the direct link to a post). This post has the ID 4,820,293.

1. What are the most important stats to look at when evaluating a forum?

The most important stats to look at when evaluating a forum can vary depending on the specific goals and purposes of the forum. However, some common metrics to consider include the number of active users, engagement levels (such as comments and posts per user), traffic and page views, and the overall growth and activity of the forum over time.

2. How can I ensure that the stats I am seeing are accurate?

To ensure the accuracy of the stats you are seeing for a forum, it is important to use reliable and trustworthy sources. This could include official data from the forum platform itself, or independent analytics tools that track website traffic and engagement. It is also important to verify the time frame of the stats, as they may be outdated or only reflect a certain period of time.

3. What does a high or low stat indicate for a forum?

A high stat, such as a large number of active users or high engagement levels, can indicate a successful and thriving forum. This could mean that the forum is providing valuable and engaging content for its users, and that it has a strong and active community. On the other hand, a low stat could indicate that the forum is struggling and may need to improve its content or community engagement strategies.

4. Are there any specific stats that are more important for certain types of forums?

Yes, different types of forums may prioritize different stats depending on their goals and purposes. For example, a forum focused on generating sales may prioritize traffic and conversion rates, while a forum focused on discussion and community building may prioritize engagement levels and active users.

5. How often should I check and track forum stats?

The frequency of checking and tracking forum stats can vary depending on the goals and needs of the forum. Some forums may benefit from daily or weekly stat checks to stay updated on user activity and engagement, while others may only need to be checked monthly or quarterly. It is important to find a balance and consistency in tracking forum stats to monitor progress and make informed decisions for improvement.