Am I taking the right approach? (Finding final velocity)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a circular path and finding the initial height using the chord length formula for a circle. The speaker also suggests using an energy conservation approach to find the velocity. Another person in the conversation finds the concept of chord length confusing and comes up with a simpler method to find the height. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing interest in deriving the chord length formula.
david13579
I've been given this problem http://i.imgur.com/7XtYt.png and I had no idea of how to come up with an answer since it is a circular path. The only thing that occurred to me is find the initial height using the chord length formula for a circle and then treat that chord as the hypotenuse of a right triangle. After finding "the height" that way I can then use an energy conservation approach to get the velocity and I get 16.78 m/s.

Is that a correct way of doing it?. Even if it is correct, not many people would remember the chord length formula so I doubt our professor intended for it to be solved that way. There has to be an easier way to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I find "chord length" confusing.
To find the height, I drew a horizontal line from A to the vertical line.
The distance from the center of the circle to the line is 30*cos(40) = 23.
So the height at A is 30 - 23 = 7.
I get the same final answer answer you did.

Delphi51 said:
I find "chord length" confusing.
To find the height, I drew a horizontal line from A to the vertical line.
The distance from the center of the circle to the line is 30*cos(40) = 23.
So the height at A is 30 - 23 = 7.
I get the same final answer answer you did.

Wow, this is more straight forward. I don't see how I see it myself.

This is what I mean by chord length . http://i.imgur.com/aNTUA.png

Fascinating! I must attempt to derive that formula.
Funny, I never ran across it before.

I cannot evaluate whether your approach is correct without seeing your calculations and assumptions. However, your method of using the chord length formula for a circular path and then treating it as the hypotenuse of a right triangle may be a valid approach. It is important to check your calculations and make sure that all units are consistent.

In terms of whether this is the intended method by your professor, it is always a good idea to check with them or consult with your classmates to see if there are alternative methods that may be more efficient or in line with the objectives of the problem. As scientists, it is important to critically evaluate our methods and consider alternative approaches to problem solving.

Overall, it is important to remember that there is not always a single correct way to solve a problem in science. As long as your method is logically sound and produces a reasonable answer, it can be considered a valid approach. However, it is always a good idea to seek feedback and consider alternative methods to improve your problem-solving skills.

1. What factors should I consider when trying to determine the final velocity?

When finding the final velocity, it is important to consider the initial velocity, acceleration, and time. These factors will all affect the final velocity of the object.

2. How do I know if I am using the correct formula to find the final velocity?

The formula for finding final velocity can vary depending on the situation. It is important to carefully read the problem and identify which variables are given and which need to be solved for. Then, choose the appropriate formula that includes those variables.

3. Is it necessary to use calculus to find the final velocity?

In many cases, calculus is not necessary to find the final velocity. Basic algebraic equations can be used if the acceleration is constant. However, if the acceleration is changing, calculus may be needed to accurately calculate the final velocity.

4. What are some common mistakes when finding the final velocity?

One common mistake is using the wrong formula or plugging in the wrong values. Another mistake is not converting units correctly, which can lead to an incorrect final velocity. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of velocity, as it can be positive or negative depending on the direction of motion.

5. How can I check if my final velocity calculation is correct?

To check if your final velocity calculation is correct, you can use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Plug in the values you calculated and make sure it matches the given final velocity in the problem. You can also double-check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.