Am I the only one?

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
Why does helping people matter if their lives don't matter?

I never said people's lives don't matter, I'm just trying to figure out what does matter. Do I need psychological help? Yes I do, but don't we all? I thought back in the 90's that we as a society were gonna need a lot more shrinks because of the coming technology explosion. Well. it's happening, but the economy sucks and nobody's got the mulah to pay for a shrink. However, the technology is still progressing and we still need counseling. The reality is the world is not typically kind to original thinkers, it favor's the status quo. That's why I like PF, I hope I'm not putting anybody off here, though.

Start by volunteering

I think you're right Dale, I just wish I had the courage. I just seem to be terrified of everything. I don't know why.

Dale
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
I just wish I had the courage. I just seem to be terrified of everything.
Why would you be afraid of volunteering? It isn't as though you could be incapable of volunteeering. If you went to some local outreach program and were a quadripelegic with bad vision problems they would still find something constructive for you to do, and even if you knocked over a pile of stuff last time they would still be honestly glad to see you the next time. You are talking about some seriously kind people, not just surface-kind, but deep-to-the-core-of-their-being kind.

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I was talking with a retired engineer a while back.

He said something interesting - "It's not the bridges and roads i built that make me feel good, but the young folks i mentored along the way. "

I don't know what you're good at, Dirac, but cultivate it and help others who are struggling to learn it.

I remember haviing similar anxieties in my youth.
Best therapy is small accomplishments. Success in life is just a series of them.

good luck, sir.

old jim

Evo
Mentor
I think you're right Dale, I just wish I had the courage. I just seem to be terrified of everything. I don't know why.
Dirac, please learn to use the quote function correctly, it should look like this where I quoted you with your name and a link to the post.

Also, I agree with Ryan, you need professional help, we cannot help you here.