How Do You Calculate Field Point Vectors in Different Coordinate Systems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggles of understanding field point vectors in higher level physics, specifically in cylindrical and spherical systems. The suggestion to buy a book on vector calculus is made and the concept of dimensions and vectors in different systems is explained. The idea of space being described in different ways is also mentioned.
laura_kay
I've been wanting to learn physics for a while, and bought an intro book and read through it. Now I want to move onto some higher level physics and am having some problem with the math. My book glosses over how to write out field point vectors, and I don't really understand it in various systems. In cartesian I think it's r-r', but I don't get it at all in cylindrical or spherical. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You really should buy a book on vector calculus as well. And work on it.

In vector calculus, dimensions are broken up into independent components. But a vector has "length" and "direction", so it's not just a point in space. It has an associated length in whatever dimension the space you are looking at (for a cube then 3 dimension). Now, all these ideas become even more complicated when you start considering why space should be Cartesian at all (then you enter the world of Riemann and Einstein).

For a cylinder, you are locating points with a circle & height. The circle is composed of a radius & angle. So you can picture a cylinder being constructed at the origin of a Cartesian 3 space, with whatever parameters you want to set to describe the point. The sphere is very similar. Unfortunately, these descriptions are all still Cartesian space. So, as Gauss would point out, we can look at space with any unique identification that we want.

1. What are the fundamental principles of physics?

The fundamental principles of physics are laws and theories that describe the behavior of matter, energy, and their interactions. These principles include the laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, the theory of relativity, and the theory of quantum mechanics. They help us understand the world around us and make predictions about how objects will behave.

2. How can I apply physics in my daily life?

Physics can be applied in many ways in our daily lives. For example, understanding the principles of motion can help us in activities such as driving a car or riding a bike. Understanding the properties of electricity can help us use appliances and electronic devices. Studying the laws of thermodynamics can help us make decisions about energy usage and conservation.

3. What is the difference between classical physics and modern physics?

Classical physics refers to the laws and theories developed before the 20th century, such as Newton's laws of motion and gravitation. Modern physics, on the other hand, refers to the theories and principles developed in the 20th century and beyond, such as relativity and quantum mechanics. Modern physics has expanded our understanding of the universe and has led to technological advancements like nuclear power and GPS.

4. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

Improving your understanding of physics requires hands-on experience and practice. You can read books, watch videos, and attend lectures to learn the concepts and theories. It is also important to perform experiments and solve problems to gain a deeper understanding. Joining a physics club or discussing ideas with others can also help improve your understanding.

5. Why is physics important in other fields of science?

Physics is often considered the most fundamental of the sciences because it provides the foundation for other fields of science, such as chemistry, biology, and geology. Many of the principles and laws in these fields are based on physical laws and theories. For example, understanding the properties of atoms and molecules is crucial in chemistry, and these properties are explained by quantum mechanics, a branch of physics. Physics also helps us understand the behavior of natural phenomena, such as weather patterns and the formation of galaxies.