Are Americans Truly 24/7? The Mystery of America's Sleeping Habits Revealed

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, America is 24/7, but some people can not stay awake. Sleep is good for the weak, and Chuck Norris never sleeps.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
When they are asleep, why is that some of you can not stay awake, PFs sort of dies just because you lot want to sleep, is it not true that America is 24/7.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sleep is for the weak

Happy, healthy, well-rested weak people; but weak nonetheless.

After Gary "Wolf" Barnes, in alt.sysadmin.recovery, #224

I wasn't sleeping, I was just resting my eyes.

Chuck Norris never sleeps? What's the matter with you people? :wink::smile:

wolram said:
When they are asleep, why is that some of you can not stay awake, PFs sort of dies just because you lot want to sleep, is it not true that America is 24/7.

Personally, I'm a 18/7 American. 6 hrs sleep is good enough for me...I may be meek, and a little bit geek, but I'm not weak.

Last edited:
Wolram never sleeps. I was up till 4am but he was still going.

Yeah, what *do* you guys do without us when we're sleeping?

Evo said:
We raid the mini-bar in the mentor's forum :biggrin:

We get up, get through the day, and go to sleep around the same time you wake up :smile:

Evo said:

Real world stuff, it's horrible best not to think about it.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Real world stuff, it's horrible best not to think about it.

What the... you mean you actually have a real, non-virtual life?
Where did you get it? I tried to buy one online, but no luck so far.

Ah well, I can always keep saving for two more months and emigrate to Australia :smile:

CompuChip said:
What the... you mean you actually have a real, non-virtual life?
Where did you get it? I tried to buy one online, but no luck so far.

Ah well, I can always keep saving for two more months and emigrate to Australia :smile:

Seriously stay plugged into the matrix. Take the blue pill. :biggrin:

wolram said:
Sleep is good. Somehow it just seems more appropriate to do it while it's dark out, and be active when it's light enough outside to see things. It's not my fault you live on the wrong side of the Earth.

I have shifted a ton of rubble while you were asleep, i thought it would make me tired but no, a plate of chili and a cat nap and i am wide awake.

Evo said:

I think about pf babes and space ships.

1. Are Americans really more sleep-deprived compared to other countries?

According to recent studies, Americans have an average sleep duration of 6.8 hours per night, which is slightly lower than the recommended 7-9 hours. However, this does not necessarily mean that Americans are more sleep-deprived than people in other countries. Sleep patterns and habits vary among individuals and can be influenced by cultural, social, and economic factors.

2. Is technology to blame for the lack of sleep among Americans?

The use of technology, specifically electronic devices, has been linked to disrupted sleep patterns and decreased sleep quality. However, it is important to note that technology is just one of many factors that can contribute to sleep deprivation. Other factors such as work schedules, stress, and lifestyle choices also play a role in Americans' sleep habits.

3. How does lack of sleep affect Americans' health?

Sleep deprivation can have negative impacts on physical and mental health. Chronic lack of sleep has been linked to an increased risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and depression. It can also impair cognitive function, memory, and decision-making abilities, leading to decreased productivity and safety concerns.

4. Are there any cultural or societal factors that contribute to Americans' sleep habits?

American culture values productivity and success, often leading to a mindset of "sleep when you're dead." This mentality, combined with a fast-paced and 24/7 work culture, can encourage people to sacrifice sleep for work or other activities. Additionally, societal pressures and expectations may contribute to stress and anxiety, making it difficult for individuals to wind down and get a good night's sleep.

5. What can be done to improve Americans' sleep habits?

There are several steps that can be taken to improve Americans' sleep habits. These include creating a consistent sleep schedule, avoiding caffeine and electronics before bedtime, practicing relaxation techniques, and creating a comfortable sleep environment. It is also important for individuals to prioritize their sleep and make it a priority for their overall health and well-being.