Calculate Wave Amplitude for T, u, lambda, g

In summary, a tightrope walker generating a sinusoidal transverse wave on a tightrope with tension (T), mass per unit length (u), wavelength (lamda) and amplitude (A) may cause a large ant standing on the rope to become momentarily weightless. The minimum wave amplitude required for this to happen can be expressed in terms of T, u, lamda and the acceleration due to gravity (g). The amplitude can be determined by finding the height of the wave from rest to crest or rest to trough.
hotmail590
A large ant is standing on the middle of a circus tightrope that is stretched with (T) tension . The rope has mass per unit length (u). Wanting to shake the ant off the rope, a tightrope walker moves her foot up and down near the end of the tightrope, generating a sinusoidal transverse wave of wavelength (lamda) and amplitude (A) . Assume that the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity is (g).

What is the minimum wave amplitude such that the ant will become momentarily weightless at some point as the wave passes underneath it? Assume that the mass of the ant is too small to have any effect on the wave propagation.
Express the minimum wave amplitude in terms of T, u, lamda, and g.

How should I approach this problem? Should I try to find a forumla for Amplitude and plug in 0 for the mass/length (u)??

For the wave function of a traveling wave Asin[(k)x+(w)t] on a thin rope that what way can we determine the amplitude?

I know the amplitude is the height of the wave from rest to crest or rest to trough. But I cannot figure out anyway to show A.

For example like the wavelength (lamda) = 2pi/k

But what can Amplitude = ?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone please?

anyone please?

Related to Calculate Wave Amplitude for T, u, lambda, g

1. How do I calculate the wave amplitude?

To calculate the wave amplitude, you will need the values for the wave period (T), wave speed (u), wavelength (lambda), and the acceleration due to gravity (g). The formula for wave amplitude is A = (T^2 * u * g) / (2 * pi * lambda). Plug in the values into this formula and solve for A to get the wave amplitude.

2. What is the significance of wave amplitude?

Wave amplitude is the maximum displacement of a wave from its equilibrium position. It determines the energy and strength of the wave, and is also used to measure the intensity of a wave. Higher amplitudes indicate more energy and stronger waves.

3. How do I find the values for T, u, lambda, and g?

To calculate the wave amplitude, you will need to know the values for the wave period (T), wave speed (u), wavelength (lambda), and the acceleration due to gravity (g). These values can be found through experiments or by using known values for the medium the wave is traveling through. They can also be calculated using other formulas, such as T = 2pi * square root (lambda / g) or u = lambda / T.

4. Can I use this formula for all types of waves?

Yes, this formula can be used for all types of waves, including water waves, sound waves, and electromagnetic waves. However, the values for T, u, lambda, and g may differ depending on the type of wave and the medium it is traveling through.

5. What are some real-life applications of this formula?

This formula is commonly used in fields such as oceanography, meteorology, and engineering to analyze and predict wave behavior. It is also used in designing structures, such as bridges and dams, to ensure they can withstand the force of waves. Additionally, understanding wave amplitude is important in fields like acoustics and optics, where it is used to measure the intensity of sound and light waves.