Amplitude of spectroscopic signal

The units for velocity should be m/s. In summary, the correct approach to finding the amplitude of the spectroscopic signal in this scenario is to use Kepler's third law to calculate the orbital radius of the planet and the star, then use the equation A = vplanet*sin(i)/vstar, where i is the inclination angle, to calculate the amplitude. The units for velocity should be in meters per second.
kvan

Homework Statement

What is the amplitude of the spectroscopic signal if the inclination is 45 degrees?
Mass star = 1 mass of sun = 1.9891 x 10^30kg
Mass Planet = 10 mass Earth = 5.9736 x 10^25kg
Orbital period = 1 year

Homework Equations

I'm not sure about even what equation to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the velocity of both masses, with velocity of the planet equalling 29.7km/s and the velocity of the star being 0.891km/s.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I then used the equation for amplitude of a spectroscopic signal, A = vplanet/vstar, and plugged in the values to get an amplitude of 33.3. However, I'm not sure if this is correct or if there is another equation I should be using. Can anyone confirm if this is the correct approach?

Your approach is close, but there are a few issues.

First, the equation for amplitude of a spectroscopic signal, A = vplanet/vstar, is not quite correct. The correct equation is A = vplanet*sin(i)/vstar, where i is the inclination angle. This accounts for the fact that the velocity of the planet is not directly towards or away from us, but rather at an angle.

Second, you have calculated the velocities using the masses and orbital period, but these are not the only factors that determine the velocities. You also need to know the orbital radius of the planet and the star.

To calculate the orbital radius, you can use Kepler's third law, which relates the orbital period, the orbital radius, and the masses of the two bodies. So, you can use this equation to calculate the orbital radius of the planet and the star, and then plug these values into your equation for amplitude.

Finally, just a minor point, but the units for velocity should be m/s, not km/s.

So, to summarize, the correct approach would be to use Kepler's third law to calculate the orbital radius of the planet and the star, then use the equation A = vplanet*sin(i)/vstar to calculate the amplitude of the spectroscopic signal.

Related to Amplitude of spectroscopic signal

1. What is the amplitude of a spectroscopic signal?

The amplitude of a spectroscopic signal refers to the maximum height or intensity of the signal measured on a spectrogram. It is a measure of the strength of the signal and can provide information about the concentration or abundance of a particular substance in a sample.

2. How is the amplitude of a spectroscopic signal measured?

The amplitude of a spectroscopic signal is measured by taking the difference between the highest and lowest points of the signal on a spectrogram. This can be done using software or by manually measuring the signal on a printed spectrogram.

3. What factors can affect the amplitude of a spectroscopic signal?

The amplitude of a spectroscopic signal can be affected by a variety of factors, including the concentration of the substance being measured, the sensitivity of the instrument used, and the background noise in the sample. It can also be impacted by instrument settings and the wavelength range being analyzed.

4. Why is the amplitude of a spectroscopic signal important in scientific research?

The amplitude of a spectroscopic signal is important because it can provide valuable information about the composition and properties of a sample. By measuring the amplitude, scientists can determine the presence and concentration of certain substances, as well as monitor changes in a sample over time. This information can be used in a wide range of fields, from environmental monitoring to medical diagnostics.

5. Can the amplitude of a spectroscopic signal be used to identify unknown substances?

Yes, the amplitude of a spectroscopic signal can be used to identify unknown substances. Each substance has a unique spectroscopic signature, and the amplitude can help in determining the presence and concentration of a substance in a sample. This can be especially useful in forensic and analytical chemistry, where identifying unknown substances is crucial.