Amplitude of two components for tides.

In summary, the tidal range of spring tides is 3.2 m and the tidal range of neap tides is 1.8 m. The two tides, m2 and s2, both have the same frequency and can be added together when in phase and subtracted when out of phase. To find their amplitude, you need to be careful in assigning the correct amplitude to each tide.
aks_sky
The tidal range of spring tides is about 3.2 m and tidal range of neap tides is about 1.8m,
Assume the only tidal components are m2 and s2 tides. i.e 2 tides per day due to the sun and moon.
Find the amplitude of these components and also find the maximum phase angle between the m2 tides and the observed high tide.

** At this stage i am just looking for how to solve the amplitude question, I have tried the formula of x=A sin (wt + alpha) but i don't think i will be using this equation here. Anybody know what i can use to find the amplitude? thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Both tides have the same frequency, right? So they add together like one is a sine wave and the other is a cosine wave. You need to be careful which amplitude you assign to which wave.

Yup they both will have the same frequency but since they go in phase, i can add them up as m2 +s2 and when they are out of phase it will be m2 - s2. Now the only thing is that i don't know how to find the amplitude using that.

1. What is the amplitude of a tide?

The amplitude of a tide refers to the difference between the highest water level (high tide) and the lowest water level (low tide) during a tidal cycle. It is typically measured in meters or feet.

2. How is the amplitude of a tide determined?

The amplitude of a tide is primarily determined by the gravitational pull of the moon and the sun on the Earth's oceans. Other factors such as the shape of the coastline and the topography of the ocean floor can also affect the amplitude of tides in a specific location.

3. Why does the amplitude of tides vary?

The amplitude of tides can vary due to a number of factors, including the distance between the Earth and the moon, the alignment of the sun, moon, and Earth, and the shape of the coastline. In addition, the amplitude of tides can also be affected by weather patterns and ocean currents.

4. What is the difference between spring tides and neap tides?

Spring tides occur when the sun, moon, and Earth are aligned, resulting in higher high tides and lower low tides. Neap tides occur when the sun and moon are at right angles to each other, resulting in lower high tides and higher low tides. This difference in alignment affects the amplitude of tides.

5. How does the amplitude of tides affect coastal areas?

The amplitude of tides can have a significant impact on coastal areas, particularly during extreme high tides (storm surges) or extreme low tides (exposing large portions of the shoreline). Tides also play a role in erosion and sedimentation processes along the coast.