Learn C/C++ Programming: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses options for someone who wants to learn programming, specifically C or C++. There is a recommendation to check out the "Programming Resources" sticky on a website and a suggestion to start by going to the library and borrowing books on the subject. The conversation also includes a debate about whether Java is a derivative of C++ or not, with some additional suggestions for alternative programming languages. Ultimately, it is recommended to start with Java or scripting before moving on to other languages.
charming86
hi
i simply know nothing about programming languages and related stuff, but i really want to learn one, c or c++, i don't know where to start
can you please tell what to do and where to start, websites, books...
please help:cry:
i appreciate ur help

Technology news on Phys.org
There's a "Programming Resources" sticky just above your topic. Have you looked there?

That is nice. I think I'll get into it, too, now.

Definitely learn C++ if you're choosing between that and C. It's an excellent skill to have. It shows that you can possesses a higher level of thinking and that you can write algorithms to solve real-life problems.

thanks neutrino!
thanks a lot

I would say C++ is the best route. Especially since all of the c language is contained in C++. C++ is also good because several other languages are derivatives of it such as Java. Java share a lot of similarities to C++ in its syntax.

Java is NOT a derivate of C++!

For learning programming or a new computer skill I have the following algorithm: Go to the library, pick at least 5 books on the subject that look promising, read a few pages of each book,borrow the book that suites you best(I value simplicity and clarity of presentation the most).

I am a big fan of books written by Cay Horstmann so I would probably go with Big C++[1]. Most computer books are over priced so I prefer the library.

[1] http://he-cda.wiley.com/WileyCDA/HigherEdTitle/productCd-0471470635.html

Last edited by a moderator:
haki said:
Java is NOT a derivate of C++!

For learning programming or a new computer skill I have the following algorithm: Go to the library, pick at least 5 books on the subject that look promising, read a few pages of each book,borrow the book that suites you best(I value simplicity and clarity of presentation the most).

I am a big fan of books written by Cay Horstmann so I would probably go with Big C++[1]. Most computer books are over priced so I prefer the library.

[1] http://he-cda.wiley.com/WileyCDA/HigherEdTitle/productCd-0471470635.html

Java is a derivative see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Programming_Language_language

Oh and here is another good read
http://ei.cs.vt.edu/book/chap1/java_hist.html

Last edited by a moderator:
You got to be kiding me.

Porhaps you were not reading the article very good, it is written "The language itself derives much of its syntax from C and C++"[1]. There is a difference between deriving syntax in contrast to deriving the language and platform itself.

Note C++ and Java are different in nature. For instance Java is compiled into bytecode, has different OOP model(class can only extend one Class, note there is different syntax for "extends" in C++ it would be the cryptic ":"), Java is run on VM which provides Garbage Collection, C++ is different.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Programming_Language_language

Last edited:
Ultimately this amounts to a semantic quibble over what "derived" means.
It could go on indefinitely if we wish to invoke an appeal to popularity fallacy; Googling 'Java "derived from C++"' without single-quotes comes to a Google estimate of 1.02 million results. I suppose some of them could be "Java is not derived from C++" -- although a search for 'Java "not derived from C++"' gets us only 3 results, two of which don't address the issue and actually say "C# was not derived from C++". I don't feel like checking all other possible negations, like "wasn't derived from C++".

Java began as a set of extensions to C++, and eventually it was decided that it was better to start a new language in its own right. In that sense, it was not bubbled away from C++ entirely. It also draws influences from other languages that were derived in part from C++, so it too is derivative by transitivity. Not to mention that syntax being derived from C++ means that Java IS, in part, derived from C++. The "difference between deriving syntax in contrast to deriving the language and platform itself" is precisely that deriving syntax is more specific.

Java and C++ are very different. Nevertheless, understanding one greatly aids in understanding the other.

Your words: "Java and C++ are very different". How can that be true if the former is the derivate of the latter?

Maybe it would be more correct to say that Java was influenced by C++. But never mind. Waste of posts for this.

Couldn't resist: "C# was not derived from C++" should this be true that would mean that Java was not derived from C++ since C# was derived from Java.

Last edited:
If you want to learn programming I would definately not recommed you start with C++.

I would recommend you start with Java. It is well-designed and object oriented. From here you could expand to other languages.

As an alternative to Java, you might opt for, the relatively new language, called Ruby, which might replace Java in the future. It is a bit richer in object oriented features than Java.

Last edited:
start with some scripting before you start programing. Some Bash scripting would be good IMHO.

1. What is the difference between C and C++?

C and C++ are both programming languages commonly used for system and application software. The main difference between the two is that C++ is an object-oriented language, while C is a procedural language. This means that C++ allows for the creation of objects with properties and methods, while C focuses more on step-by-step instructions for solving a problem.

2. Is it necessary to learn C before learning C++?

No, it is not necessary to learn C before learning C++. While some basic concepts may be similar, C++ is a more modern and complex language that includes object-oriented programming. It is possible to learn C++ without prior knowledge of C, although having a foundation in C may make it easier to understand certain concepts.

3. What are some good resources for learning C/C++?

There are many resources available for learning C/C++, including online tutorials, books, and courses. Some popular options include "The C Programming Language" by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie, "C++ Primer" by Stanley Lippman, "Learn C the Hard Way" by Zed A. Shaw, and "C++ for Dummies" by Stephen R. Davis.

4. How long does it take to learn C/C++?

The time it takes to learn C/C++ depends on the individual's learning style, prior programming experience, and dedication to practice. Some people may be able to learn the basics in a few weeks, while others may take several months. It is important to consistently practice coding and work on projects to improve skills.

5. What are some common applications of C/C++?

C and C++ are commonly used for system and application software, such as operating systems, device drivers, video games, and web browsers. They are also used in embedded systems, scientific computing, and high-performance applications. Additionally, many programming languages and libraries are written in C or C++, making it important for developers to have a strong understanding of these languages.