Analyzing the Definite Integral (1+x)^(-1/2)

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral and its solution, which can be found in a mathematical table. The solution involves using trigonometric substitutions and applying integration limits to obtain the value of pi.
SW VandeCarr
Is there an analytic solution to the following integral? (Not a homework question, solved numerically).

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}{\frac{dx}{(1+x)\sqrt{x}}=\pi[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Let u^2 = x

l'Hôpital said:
Let u^2 = x

OK I get: [tex]2\int\frac{1}{1+u^2}du[/tex]

I'm a bit rusty at this. I think I need to make some trig substitutions here, but I'm at a loss as to exactly what.

Last edited:
It's just there, the arc tangent.

jrlaguna said:
It's just there, the arc tangent.

Right. I finally saw that. However, the solution: [tex]2\arctan(\sqrt{x})+C[/tex] contains a variable. The solution given in the CRC Standard Mathematical Tables 14th ed, page 342, Eq 489 is [tex]\pi[/tex].

EDIT:Yes, I know it's old, but I doubt a new solution has been invented. I bought it for $2.

Last edited:
You looked up the indefinite integral. You have a definite integral. Apply the integration limits.

D H said:
You looked up the indefinite integral. You have a definite integral. Apply the integration limits.

The form of the integral in the book is just as I wrote it in the first post, but I see how the solution [tex]\pi[/tex] is obtained. Thanks.

Related to Analyzing the Definite Integral (1+x)^(-1/2)

1. What is an analytic solution?

An analytic solution is a solution to a mathematical problem that can be obtained through a series of logical steps, usually by using equations and formulas. It is a precise and exact solution, as opposed to a numerical solution which is an approximation.

2. How is an analytic solution different from a numerical solution?

An analytic solution is exact and obtained through mathematical equations and formulas, while a numerical solution is an approximation obtained through a series of calculations with a finite number of steps. Analytic solutions are often preferred because they provide a deeper understanding of the problem at hand.

3. When is an analytic solution used?

An analytic solution is used when a mathematical problem can be solved through a series of logical steps and equations. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to solve problems related to motion, heat transfer, and other physical phenomena.

4. What are the advantages of using an analytic solution?

Using an analytic solution allows for a more precise and exact solution to a mathematical problem. It also provides a deeper understanding of the problem and allows for the derivation of other related equations and formulas. Additionally, it can often be more efficient and faster to obtain an analytic solution compared to a numerical solution.

5. Can all problems have an analytic solution?

No, not all problems can have an analytic solution. Some problems are too complex or do not have a known mathematical solution. In these cases, a numerical solution may be used to approximate the solution. Additionally, some problems may have analytic solutions, but they may be too difficult or time-consuming to obtain, in which case a numerical solution may be preferred.