Solving for Period of Force Pulled Downward and Released - 27N Weight

• Thread starter vpv
  • Start date
In summary, the total force required to stretch the spring by 0.05 m is 36 N and the spring constant can be calculated as k = F / x = 36 / 0.05. The period of the oscillation can then be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k).
vpv
A body of weight 27 N hangs on a long spring of such stiffness that an extra force of 9N stretches the spring 0.05 m. If the body is pulled downward and released what is its period?

I know how to do this question, except I am not understanding the concept entirely. First I would calculate k, the spring constant.
k = F / x = 36 / 0.05
I don't understand exactly why the answer book is using only 9 N as the force. I would think that if you have 9 N alone on the spring, then the spring would not stretch but if you 9 N in addition to the 27 N already there, then can the spring stretch. So wouldn't the total force on the spring required to stretch it by 0.05 m be 36 N and not 9 N? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct. The total force required to stretch the spring by 0.05 m is 36 N. In this case, the force of 9 N is the additional force needed to stretch the spring beyond its original length due to the 27 N weight hanging from it. The spring constant for this problem can then be calculated as k = F / x = 36 / 0.05. Once the spring constant is known, the period of the oscillation can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k).

1. What is the formula for calculating the period of a force pulled downward and released with a 27N weight?

The formula for calculating the period of a force pulled downward and released with a 27N weight is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the period of a force pulled downward and released with a 27N weight?

The unit of measurement for the period is seconds (s).

3. How does the mass of the object affect the period of a force pulled downward and released with a 27N weight?

The mass of the object directly affects the period of a force pulled downward and released. As the mass increases, the period also increases. This is because a heavier object will take longer to complete one full oscillation compared to a lighter object.

4. How does the spring constant affect the period of a force pulled downward and released with a 27N weight?

The spring constant also has a direct effect on the period of a force pulled downward and released. As the spring constant increases, the period decreases. This is because a higher spring constant means a stiffer spring, which will cause the object to oscillate more quickly.

5. Can the period of a force pulled downward and released with a 27N weight be affected by external factors?

Yes, the period of a force pulled downward and released can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, friction, and other forces acting on the object. These factors can alter the motion of the object and therefore affect the period. However, in ideal conditions with no external forces, the period will remain constant.