1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An Interesting Acceleration

1. Feb 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle moving from a point [itex] A [/itex] to a point [itex] B [/itex], [itex] 1 [/itex] meter away, travels in a straight line in such a way so that its acceleration is proportional to the distance left to point [itex] B [/itex]. If the particle arrives at point [itex] B [/itex] in [itex] 1 [/itex] second, how long did it take for the particle to reach the point halfway to point [itex] B [/itex]?

2. Relevant equations
    I suppose we need that the acceleration is the second-derivative of position.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So we know that [itex] a(t) = \frac{d^2p}{dt^2} = k(1 - p(t)) [/itex] (and [itex] a(1) = 0 [/itex] and [itex] p(0) = 0 [/itex] and [itex] p(1) = 1 [/itex]), but I don't know how to solve this differential equation. Once [itex] p(t) [/itex] is found, [itex] t [/itex] can be found by equating [itex] p(t) = \frac{1}{2} [/itex].

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can try writing the differential equation in terms of a new dependent variable y that is defined in terms of p. Can you see how to define y(t) in terms of p(t) so that you get a simpler differential equation?

4. Feb 22, 2015 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

substitute 1-p(t) by u. What equation do you get for u? Are you familiar with it?

5. Feb 23, 2015 #4
    Define [itex] y(t) = p(t) - 1 [/itex]. Then [itex] \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} = \frac{d^2p}{dt^2} [/itex] and the differential equation becomes:
    [itex] \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} = -ky [/itex]
    Auxiliary equation is [itex] r^2 + k = 0 [/itex] so [itex] r = \pm i \sqrt{k} [/itex]. Then [itex] y = e^a(c_1 cos(bt) + c_2 sin(bt)) = e^{(0)}(c_1 cos(t\sqrt{k}) + c_2 sin(t\sqrt{k})) = c_1 cos(t\sqrt{k}) + c_2 sin(t\sqrt{k}) [/itex]. Then [itex] p(t) = y(t) + 1 = c_1 cos(t\sqrt{k}) + c_2 sin(t\sqrt{k}) + 1 [/itex]. I think I can figure the rest out myself. Thanks all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted