Finding the Time to Reach the Halfway Point with Proportional Acceleration

In summary, a particle traveling from point A to point B, 1 meter away, with acceleration proportional to the distance left, reaches point B in 1 second. To find the time it takes to reach the point halfway to point B, we can solve the differential equation a(t) = d^2p/dt^2 = k(1 - p(t)), where p(t) is the position of the particle. By defining y(t) = p(t) - 1 and using the auxiliary equation r^2 + k = 0, we can solve for p(t) and find the time it takes for the particle to reach the halfway point.
einstein314

Homework Statement

A particle moving from a point [itex] A [/itex] to a point [itex] B [/itex], [itex] 1 [/itex] meter away, travels in a straight line in such a way so that its acceleration is proportional to the distance left to point [itex] B [/itex]. If the particle arrives at point [itex] B [/itex] in [itex] 1 [/itex] second, how long did it take for the particle to reach the point halfway to point [itex] B [/itex]?

Homework Equations

I suppose we need that the acceleration is the second-derivative of position.

The Attempt at a Solution

So we know that [itex] a(t) = \frac{d^2p}{dt^2} = k(1 - p(t)) [/itex] (and [itex] a(1) = 0 [/itex] and [itex] p(0) = 0 [/itex] and [itex] p(1) = 1 [/itex]), but I don't know how to solve this differential equation. Once [itex] p(t) [/itex] is found, [itex] t [/itex] can be found by equating [itex] p(t) = \frac{1}{2} [/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can try writing the differential equation in terms of a new dependent variable y that is defined in terms of p. Can you see how to define y(t) in terms of p(t) so that you get a simpler differential equation?

einstein314 said:

Homework Statement

A particle moving from a point [itex] A [/itex] to a point [itex] B [/itex], [itex] 1 [/itex] meter away, travels in a straight line in such a way so that its acceleration is proportional to the distance left to point [itex] B [/itex]. If the particle arrives at point [itex] B [/itex] in [itex] 1 [/itex] second, how long did it take for the particle to reach the point halfway to point [itex] B [/itex]?

Homework Equations

I suppose we need that the acceleration is the second-derivative of position.

The Attempt at a Solution

So we know that [itex] a(t) = \frac{d^2p}{dt^2} = k(1 - p(t)) [/itex] (and [itex] a(1) = 0 [/itex] and [itex] p(0) = 0 [/itex] and [itex] p(1) = 1 [/itex]), but I don't know how to solve this differential equation. Once [itex] p(t) [/itex] is found, [itex] t [/itex] can be found by equating [itex] p(t) = \frac{1}{2} [/itex].
substitute 1-p(t) by u. What equation do you get for u? Are you familiar with it?

Define [itex] y(t) = p(t) - 1 [/itex]. Then [itex] \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} = \frac{d^2p}{dt^2} [/itex] and the differential equation becomes:
[itex] \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} = -ky [/itex]
Auxiliary equation is [itex] r^2 + k = 0 [/itex] so [itex] r = \pm i \sqrt{k} [/itex]. Then [itex] y = e^a(c_1 cos(bt) + c_2 sin(bt)) = e^{(0)}(c_1 cos(t\sqrt{k}) + c_2 sin(t\sqrt{k})) = c_1 cos(t\sqrt{k}) + c_2 sin(t\sqrt{k}) [/itex]. Then [itex] p(t) = y(t) + 1 = c_1 cos(t\sqrt{k}) + c_2 sin(t\sqrt{k}) + 1 [/itex]. I think I can figure the rest out myself. Thanks all!

FAQ: Finding the Time to Reach the Halfway Point with Proportional Acceleration

1. What is an interesting acceleration?

An interesting acceleration refers to a change in the rate of an object's velocity over time. It can occur in various forms such as an increase or decrease in speed, a change in direction, or a combination of both.

2. What causes an interesting acceleration?

An interesting acceleration can be caused by several factors, including a force acting on an object, a change in an object's mass, or a change in the direction of the force acting on the object.

3. How is an interesting acceleration measured?

An interesting acceleration is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2) or feet per second squared (ft/s^2). This value can be determined by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes to occur.

4. Can an interesting acceleration be negative?

Yes, an interesting acceleration can be negative. This indicates a decrease in an object's velocity, such as when it is slowing down or changing direction.

5. What are some examples of interesting accelerations in everyday life?

Some examples of interesting accelerations in everyday life include a car speeding up or slowing down, a rollercoaster changing direction, and a baseball being thrown or hit. They can also occur in natural phenomena such as the acceleration of a falling object due to gravity.

Back