Analysis 2- Riemann integrable functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the statement "if abs(f) is Riemann integrable on [a,b], then f is Riemann integrable on [a,b]" and whether it is true or false. The definition of Riemann integrability is also mentioned, which states that a function f is Riemann integrable if it is bounded on [a,b] and for every epsilon>0 there exists a partition P of [a,b] such that the upper sum of f minus the lower sum of f is less than epsilon. The speaker believes that the statement is true and attempts to prove it by showing that f is bounded, but is unsure of how to prove the second part of the definition. However, another
perlawin
1. If abs(f) is Riemann integrable on [a,b], then f is Riemann integrable on [a,b]. True or false (show work)

2. A function f is Riem Int iff f is bounded on [a,b], and for every epsilon>0 there is a partition P of [a,b] s.t. U(f,P)-L(f,P)<epsilon

3. I believe that this is true. So, what I want to do is show that f is bounded don [a,b], and I also want to show the second part of the definition. To show it was bounded, I used the fact that abs(f) was bounded and eventually got sup(abs(f))<=sup(f) and inf(f)>=-sup(abs(f)), which *I think* proved that f is bounded.

My question is how do I show that it fits the second part of the definition?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't show the second part. Because it isn't true. Try to find a counterexample.

I'm not sure what the question is and what's your answer. However the statement "if abs(f) is Riemann integrable on [a,b] then f is Riemann integrable on [a,b] isn't true."

1. What is the definition of a Riemann integrable function?

A Riemann integrable function is a function that can be integrated using the Riemann integral. This means that the function is defined on a closed and bounded interval and its integral can be approximated by Riemann sums.

2. How do you determine if a function is Riemann integrable?

A function is Riemann integrable if and only if it is continuous almost everywhere on its domain. This means that the function can have a finite number of discontinuities, but they must be isolated points.

3. Can a function with an infinite number of discontinuities be Riemann integrable?

No, a function with an infinite number of discontinuities cannot be Riemann integrable. This is because the Riemann integral requires the function to be continuous almost everywhere on its domain.

4. What are the properties of Riemann integrable functions?

Riemann integrable functions have the following properties:

• They are continuous almost everywhere on their domain.
  • Their integral is well-defined and independent of the partition used.
  • The integral of a constant function is equal to the area under the curve.
  • The integral of a function can be calculated by splitting it into smaller subintervals and summing the areas of these subintervals.

5. How is the Riemann integral used in real-world applications?

The Riemann integral is used in various fields of science and engineering to calculate the area under a curve, which represents the accumulation of a quantity over time. It is also used to calculate the volume of irregular shapes and to solve optimization problems.