1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis 2- Riemann integrable functions

1. Sep 7, 2010 #1
    1. If abs(f) is Riemann integrable on [a,b], then f is Riemann integrable on [a,b]. True or false (show work)

2. A function f is Riem Int iff f is bounded on [a,b], and for every epsilon>0 there is a partition P of [a,b] s.t. U(f,P)-L(f,P)<epsilon

3. I believe that this is true. So, what I want to do is show that f is bounded don [a,b], and I also want to show the second part of the definition. To show it was bounded, I used the fact that abs(f) was bounded and eventually got sup(abs(f))<=sup(f) and inf(f)>=-sup(abs(f)), which *I think* proved that f is bounded.

My question is how do I show that it fits the second part of the definition?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't show the second part. Because it isn't true. Try to find a counterexample.
  4. Sep 7, 2010 #3
    I'm not sure what the question is and whats your answer. However the statement "if abs(f) is Riemann integrable on [a,b] then f is Riemann integrable on [a,b] isn't true."
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook