Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Analysis 2- Riemann integrable functions

1. Sep 7, 2010 #1
    1. If abs(f) is Riemann integrable on [a,b], then f is Riemann integrable on [a,b]. True or false (show work)

2. A function f is Riem Int iff f is bounded on [a,b], and for every epsilon>0 there is a partition P of [a,b] s.t. U(f,P)-L(f,P)<epsilon

3. I believe that this is true. So, what I want to do is show that f is bounded don [a,b], and I also want to show the second part of the definition. To show it was bounded, I used the fact that abs(f) was bounded and eventually got sup(abs(f))<=sup(f) and inf(f)>=-sup(abs(f)), which *I think* proved that f is bounded.

My question is how do I show that it fits the second part of the definition?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't show the second part. Because it isn't true. Try to find a counterexample.

4. Sep 7, 2010 #3
    I'm not sure what the question is and whats your answer. However the statement "if abs(f) is Riemann integrable on [a,b] then f is Riemann integrable on [a,b] isn't true."

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook