1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Analysis method to describe impact of variables on parameter

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I have an optical model, fully programmably controllable with python. I want to know how much my variables (say N) of my model impact a certain parameter (i.e power, abberations). Now I have no clue how to go about this. There must be some analytical (numerical) method that I could use but I cannot seem to find the right tool.

What I want to know is how my variables impact my parameter as they perturb around their standard value. I have looked into monte carlo simulations, and to be honest I don't know where to begin and if this is even the right or most simple method for the job.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Madphysicist

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2016 #2
    Can you be more specific? There are fairly pricey optical simulations (Oslo, Zemax, Code V etc.) on the market which allow you to optimize lenses and surfaces for various types of aberration.

4. Apr 21, 2016 #3
    I am sorry, I will elaborate. I am using Zemax in combination with pyzdde. However, I do not want to optimize my model, but see how the change in refraction indices, radii, curvatures, angles etc affects for example the spherical abberation. Since I am in full control of my model programmatically, I do not depend on the build in function (which could be restrictive to the variables i want to examine).

So the question is how i a change of one of a combination of these variables change a specific parameter (i.e the abberation) and how this could be analyzed. Which branch of analysis methods should I dive into?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted