Analysis method to describe impact of variables on parameter

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on how to determine the impact of certain variables (such as refraction indices, radii, curvatures, and angles) on a specific parameter, such as spherical aberration, in their programmable optical model controlled by Python. They have considered using Monte Carlo simulations, but are unsure of where to begin and if it is the most suitable method. They are using Zemax with pyzdde, but do not want to optimize their model. They are looking for suggestions on which analysis methods to explore.
Physics2.0
Hi,

I have an optical model, fully programmably controllable with python. I want to know how much my variables (say N) of my model impact a certain parameter (i.e power, abberations). Now I have no clue how to go about this. There must be some analytical (numerical) method that I could use but I cannot seem to find the right tool.

What I want to know is how my variables impact my parameter as they perturb around their standard value. I have looked into monte carlo simulations, and to be honest I don't know where to begin and if this is even the right or most simple method for the job.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Madphysicist

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you be more specific? There are fairly pricey optical simulations (Oslo, Zemax, Code V etc.) on the market which allow you to optimize lenses and surfaces for various types of aberration.

I am sorry, I will elaborate. I am using Zemax in combination with pyzdde. However, I do not want to optimize my model, but see how the change in refraction indices, radii, curvatures, angles etc affects for example the spherical abberation. Since I am in full control of my model programmatically, I do not depend on the build in function (which could be restrictive to the variables i want to examine).

So the question is how i a change of one of a combination of these variables change a specific parameter (i.e the abberation) and how this could be analyzed. Which branch of analysis methods should I dive into?

Related to Analysis method to describe impact of variables on parameter

What is an analysis method?

An analysis method is a systematic approach used by scientists to study and understand complex systems or phenomena. It involves identifying and manipulating variables and observing their impact on a particular parameter of interest.

Why is an analysis method important?

An analysis method is important because it allows scientists to draw conclusions about the relationship between variables and parameters. It also helps in identifying the most influential variables and understanding their individual and combined effects on the parameter being studied.

What are the different types of analysis methods?

There are various types of analysis methods, such as statistical analysis, mathematical modeling, simulation, and experimental design. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the nature of the research question and available resources.

How do you describe the impact of variables on a parameter?

The impact of variables on a parameter can be described by analyzing the relationship between the variables and the parameter using appropriate statistical or mathematical techniques. This may involve plotting graphs, calculating correlation coefficients, and performing regression analyses to determine the strength and direction of the relationship.

What are the challenges of using an analysis method to describe the impact of variables on a parameter?

One of the main challenges of using an analysis method to describe the impact of variables on a parameter is the potential for confounding variables, which can affect the accuracy of the results. It is also important to carefully select and measure the variables to ensure they are relevant and representative of the system being studied.