Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Analysis method to describe impact of variables on parameter

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I have an optical model, fully programmably controllable with python. I want to know how much my variables (say N) of my model impact a certain parameter (i.e power, abberations). Now I have no clue how to go about this. There must be some analytical (numerical) method that I could use but I cannot seem to find the right tool.

What I want to know is how my variables impact my parameter as they perturb around their standard value. I have looked into monte carlo simulations, and to be honest I don't know where to begin and if this is even the right or most simple method for the job.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Madphysicist

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2016 #2
    Can you be more specific? There are fairly pricey optical simulations (Oslo, Zemax, Code V etc.) on the market which allow you to optimize lenses and surfaces for various types of aberration.

4. Apr 21, 2016 #3
    I am sorry, I will elaborate. I am using Zemax in combination with pyzdde. However, I do not want to optimize my model, but see how the change in refraction indices, radii, curvatures, angles etc affects for example the spherical abberation. Since I am in full control of my model programmatically, I do not depend on the build in function (which could be restrictive to the variables i want to examine).

So the question is how i a change of one of a combination of these variables change a specific parameter (i.e the abberation) and how this could be analyzed. Which branch of analysis methods should I dive into?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted