Proving Existence of x2=b for b≥0 in R

• Thread starter kreil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Existence
In summary, to prove the existence of x^2=b for b≥0 in R, we can use the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra which guarantees the existence of at least one complex root for any non-constant polynomial equation with complex coefficients. This means that x^2=b has a solution in the real numbers. This cannot be proven using mathematical induction as it is only applicable to natural numbers. There is no specific method for proving this statement, but it can be proven using various techniques. This statement holds true for all non-negative real numbers, including zero. There is no value for b≥0 that does not have a solution for x^2=b in the real numbers.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member
Prove that if b is greater than or equal to zero (b in R), there exists a non-negative real number x such that x2=b.

I really don't know where to go. I think I need to modify a proof done in a class that I missed, so if someone could just give me a few hints I'll fill in the rest.

Thanks
Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
How have you defined the reals?

Or maybe prove that on [0, infinity), the function x -> x2 is continuous, increasing, and unbounded, and apply intermediate value theorem.

Last edited:

1. How do you prove the existence of x2=b for b≥0 in R?

To prove the existence of x2=b for b≥0 in R, we can use the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra which states that every non-constant polynomial equation with complex coefficients has at least one complex root. Since x2=b can be written as the polynomial equation x2-b=0, there must exist at least one complex root, which is the value of x that satisfies the equation.

2. Can this be proven using mathematical induction?

No, mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove statements about natural numbers. It cannot be used to prove the existence of solutions to equations in the real numbers.

3. Is there a specific method for proving the existence of x2=b for b≥0 in R?

There is no specific method for proving this statement. It can be proven using different techniques, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, the Intermediate Value Theorem, or the Existence and Uniqueness Theorem for Differential Equations.

4. Does this statement hold true for all real numbers or only for positive real numbers?

This statement holds true for all non-negative real numbers, including zero. This is because zero squared is equal to zero, so it satisfies the equation x2=b for b≥0.

5. Can you give an example of a value for b≥0 that does not have a solution for x2=b?

No, there is no such value for b≥0 that does not have a solution for x2=b in the real numbers. This is because the square of any real number is always non-negative, so every non-negative real number has a solution for x2=b.