Analytic Functions on the Unit Disc

In summary, the analytic function $f(z)$ is only differentiable where the Cauchy-Riemann equations are satisfied.
Dustinsfl
Analytic in the unit disc

$z^7$ yes
$|z|$ no
$\frac{1}{z}$ yes

Correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Analytic in the unit disc

$z^7$ yes
$|z|$ no
$\frac{1}{z}$ yes

Correct?

Would you mind explaining how you got those answers please?

$z^{7}$ is complex differntiable everywhere, EDIT: $\bar{z}$ is complex differentiable nowhere, and $\frac{1}{z}$ is not complex differentiable at the origin

so the last one is incorrect

Last edited:
Random Variable said:
$z^{7}$ is complex differntiable everywhere, $|z|$ is complex differentiable nowhere, and $\frac{1}{z}$ is not complex differentiable at the origin

so the last one is incorrect

RV based on that. I shouldn't get the same g=f but so what is wrong with this:

$g(u) = |u|$
Evaluating the series around the unit disc at $z_0 = 0$, we have
$$
f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\left[\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{|u|}{u^{n + 1}}du z^n\right].
$$
If we just look at the integral, we have
$$
\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{|u|}{u^{n + 1}}du =
\begin{cases}
\displaystyle\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\int_0^{2\pi} u^{-n} du, & \text{if} \ u\geq 0\\
\displaystyle -\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\int_0^{2\pi} u^{-n}du, & \text{if} \ u < 0
\end{cases} =
\begin{cases}
0, & \text{if} \ n\neq 1\\
2\pi i, & \text{if} \ n = 1
\end{cases}
$$
Then $f(z) = z$ if $u\geq 0$ and $f(z) = -z$ if $u < 0$.
Therefore, $f(z) = |z|$.

I was interpreting $|z|$ as the complex conjugate for some reason. Sorry.

I would use the Cauchy Riemann equations to check if $|z|$ is differentiable inside the unit disc.

Random Variable said:
I was interpreting $|z|$ as the complex conjugate for some reason. Sorry.

I would use the Cauchy Riemann equations to check if $|z|$ is differentiable inside the unit disc.

I know that I think about it. I can't do that since |z| is the modulus not the real the absolute value correct?

Yeah. $|z| = |x+iy| = \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}} = \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}} + i 0 = u(x,y) + iv(x,y) $

And the function is differentiable only where the Cauchy-Riemann equations are satisfied:

$u_{x} = \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}} $ $u_{y}= \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}$, $v_{x}=0$, and $v_{y}=0$

$u_{x} = \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}} = v_{y} = 0$ and $u_{y} = \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}} = - v_{x} = 0$

The equations are not satisifed at the origin, which is inside the unit disc.

So $|z|$ is not analytic inside the unit disc.EDIT: Actually, $|z|$ doesn't appear to be differentiable anywhere.

Last edited:
Random Variable said:
Yeah. $|z| = |x+iy| = \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}} = \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}} + i 0 = u(x,y) + iv(x,y) $

And the function is differentiable only where the Cauchy-Riemann equations are satisfied:

$u_{x} = \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}} $ $u_{y}= \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}$, $v_{x}=0$, and $v_{y}=0$

$u_{x} = \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}} = v_{y} = 0$ and $u_{y} = \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}} = - v_{x} = 0$

The equations are not satisifed at the origin, which is inside the unit disc.

So $|z|$ is not analytic inside the unit disc.EDIT: Actually, $|z|$ doesn't appear to be differentiable anywhere.

Do you know how I can solve that integral then?

Related to Analytic Functions on the Unit Disc

1. What is the definition of an analytic function on the unit disc?

An analytic function on the unit disc is a complex-valued function that is defined and differentiable at every point within the unit disc, which is the set of complex numbers with modulus less than or equal to 1. This means that the function has a power series expansion at every point on the unit disc.

2. How does an analytic function on the unit disc differ from a regular complex function?

An analytic function on the unit disc is a special type of complex function that is defined and differentiable on the entire unit disc. In contrast, a regular complex function may only be defined and differentiable at certain points or regions in the complex plane.

3. What are the key properties of analytic functions on the unit disc?

Analytic functions on the unit disc have several important properties, including the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which relate the partial derivatives of the function's real and imaginary parts. They also have a power series expansion, and are closed under addition, multiplication, and composition.

4. How are analytic functions on the unit disc used in complex analysis?

Analytic functions on the unit disc are used extensively in complex analysis because they have many useful properties and applications. They can be used to solve differential equations, to understand the behavior of complex functions, and in the study of conformal mappings.

5. Are all functions on the unit disc analytic?

No, not all functions on the unit disc are analytic. To be analytic, a function must satisfy certain conditions, such as being defined and differentiable at every point on the unit disc. There are many functions that are not analytic on the unit disc, such as functions with singularities or discontinuities.