And i saw a big red glowing ball.

• Thread starter jpatrick79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, two nights ago, while driving home in Lockport, New York, the speaker saw a big red glowing ball that was visible for around 20 to 40 seconds. After a curve in the road and some trees obstructing the view, the speaker did not see the ball again. It was about the size of the moon and did not seem to be moving. Some suggested it could have been a supernova, but the speaker doubts it. It is more likely that it was a meteor or a UFO. The speaker also shares a personal experience with a UFO in Miami. Another possible explanation could be ball lightning.
jpatrick79
Two nights ago i was driving home in Lockport New York "8-14-2010"...It was around 2.00am
And i saw a big red glowing ball...It was visible for like 20 to 40 seconds...Then there was a curve in the road...And a bunch of trees obstructed my view of it...When the trees stopped i was hoping to see it again...But no such luck...It looked like it was about the size of the moon...I't didn't seem to be moving...Someone said it might have been a supernova...But i doubt that!...Could it of had something to do with the meteor shower the previous night...

Thanks in advance for any explanation Jim,

Astronomy news on Phys.org

most likely, it was a meteor... or Luke Skywalker was landing thinking this was Degoba

If it was the size of the moon and not moving I would classify that as a UFO. If indeed it had been a supernova astronomers would have told us by now. Furthermore a supernova that would cause such a large phenomenon in Earth's sky would definitely be detrimental to life on earth. Meteor showers consist of small fast moving objects which don't produce a circular solid stationary light you describe. So UFO is the best category.

BTW
A UFO I saw in Miami at close range was 100 times weirder. So you were lucky.

jpatrick79,
Welcome to Physics Forum! You may have seen Ball Lightning. Google it and also check Wikipedia for great overviews of this natural (and so far, unexplained) wonder!

I cannot provide a definitive answer without more information and evidence. However, based on the description provided, it is possible that what you saw was a meteor, also known as a shooting star. Meteors are pieces of debris that enter Earth's atmosphere and burn up, causing a bright streak of light. The fact that it was visible for a short period of time and did not seem to be moving could indicate that it was a meteor.

It is also possible that it was a part of the Perseid meteor shower, which occurs every year in August. This meteor shower is known for producing a high number of bright and visible meteors. However, without more specific details, it is difficult to confirm if this was the case.

While it is possible that what you saw was a supernova, it is highly unlikely. Supernovas are extremely rare and typically occur in distant galaxies, making them difficult to observe with the naked eye. Additionally, they usually last for several weeks or months, rather than a brief 20-40 seconds.

In summary, based on the information provided, it is most likely that what you saw was a meteor, potentially a part of the Perseid meteor shower. However, without more information, it is impossible to determine with certainty. If you would like to report your sighting or learn more about meteor showers, I recommend contacting a local astronomy club or observatory.

What is the big red glowing ball?

The big red glowing ball is most likely a celestial object, such as a star or planet, that emits a red light. It could also be a man-made object, such as a large red balloon or a glowing light fixture.

Where did the big red glowing ball come from?

The origin of the big red glowing ball depends on what it is. If it is a celestial object, it could have been formed during the creation of the universe or through a natural process such as fusion. If it is a man-made object, it could have been created by humans for a specific purpose.

Why is the big red glowing ball important?

The importance of the big red glowing ball also depends on its nature. If it is a celestial object, it could play a significant role in the universe, such as providing light and heat to a planet or serving as a navigational tool. If it is a man-made object, its importance could vary depending on its purpose and impact on society.

Is the big red glowing ball dangerous?

It is difficult to determine if the big red glowing ball is dangerous without more information. If it is a celestial object, it could potentially pose a threat to Earth if it were to collide with our planet. If it is a man-made object, it could have safety hazards depending on its purpose and location.

How can we learn more about the big red glowing ball?

To learn more about the big red glowing ball, scientists can use various methods such as studying its light emissions, analyzing its composition, and observing its behavior over time. They may also use telescopes or other instruments to gather more data and make further discoveries about this object.