Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

And i saw a big red glowing ball.

1. Aug 16, 2010 #1
    Two nights ago i was driving home in Lockport New York "8-14-2010"...It was around 2.00am
    And i saw a big red glowing ball...It was visible for like 20 to 40 seconds....Then there was a curve in the road...And a bunch of trees obstructed my view of it...When the trees stopped i was hoping to see it again...But no such luck...It looked like it was about the size of the moon......I't didn't seem to be moving....Someone said it might have been a supernova...But i doubt that!!......Could it of had something to do with the meteor shower the previous night.....

Thanks in advance for any explanation Jim,
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2010 #2
    Re: Explanation

most likely, it was a meteor... or Luke Skywalker was landing thinking this was Degoba :surprised
  4. Aug 20, 2010 #3

If it was the size of the moon and not moving I would classify that as a UFO. If indeed it had been a supernova astronomers would have told us by now. Furthermore a supernova that would cause such a large phenomenon in earth's sky would definitely be detrimental to life on earth. Meteor showers consist of small fast moving objects which don't produce a circular solid stationary light you describe. So UFO is the best category.

A UFO I saw in Miami at close range was 100 times weirder. So you were lucky.
  5. Aug 20, 2010 #4

Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forum! You may have seen Ball Lightning. Google it and also check Wikipedia for great overviews of this natural (and so far, unexplained) wonder!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook