Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Anemometer-generator question

1. Jan 13, 2005 #1
    New to the forum :smile: .
    Secondly, I'm in grade 11 physics and we have this project to build an anemometer...

Alright, I have many ideas which may work but don't quite know how to incorporate physics into it...

Well, first off, we don't have a huge budget (below 30 bucks maybe?)...
    So the best our class could do would be a cup anemometer...yea simple but I was thinking I turn it into a generator (magnets, wires and so forth) so as it spins EMF/current is induced which is logged.

Now, the problem I'm having now is that how do I relate wind velocity with the voltage(EMF) and current that is produced by the anemometer-generator.

Are they directly proportional? Should I take into account "back-EMF" - higher wind speed means greater EMF but also greater back EMF...

Any information would be helpful!

-protox

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought that maybe you could use a cheap bicycle speedometer to read off the RPMs. Googling for a price for one of these, I came upon this site (it's the secong hit when you google with "bicycle speedometer $") :

http://www.otherpower.com/anemom2.html

Oops, almost forgot : Welcome to the forums !! :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook