Anemometer-generator question

• Thread starter protox
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student's project to build an anemometer for their grade 11 physics class. The student is considering using a cup anemometer and turning it into a generator to measure wind velocity. They are unsure how to relate wind velocity to the voltage and current produced. Another user suggests using a cheap bicycle speedometer and provides a website with instructions for building an anemometer. The conversation ends with a welcome to the forum.
protox
New to the forum :smile: .
Secondly, I'm in grade 11 physics and we have this project to build an anemometer...

Alright, I have many ideas which may work but don't quite know how to incorporate physics into it...

Well, first off, we don't have a huge budget (below 30 bucks maybe?)...
So the best our class could do would be a cup anemometer...yea simple but I was thinking I turn it into a generator (magnets, wires and so forth) so as it spins EMF/current is induced which is logged.

Now, the problem I'm having now is that how do I relate wind velocity with the voltage(EMF) and current that is produced by the anemometer-generator.

Are they directly proportional? Should I take into account "back-EMF" - higher wind speed means greater EMF but also greater back EMF...

Any information would be helpful!

-protox

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought that maybe you could use a cheap bicycle speedometer to read off the RPMs. Googling for a price for one of these, I came upon this site (it's the secong hit when you google with "bicycle speedometer $") :

http://www.otherpower.com/anemom2.html

Oops, almost forgot : Welcome to the forums ! :smile:

Hello protox,

Welcome to the forum! It's great to see you taking an interest in physics and working on a project like this.

Your idea of using a cup anemometer and turning it into a generator is a great way to incorporate physics into your project. The concept of electromagnetic induction is definitely relevant here.

In terms of relating wind velocity to the voltage and current produced by the anemometer-generator, there are a few factors to consider. First, the speed of the wind will determine the rate at which the anemometer spins, which in turn will affect the rate of electromagnetic induction. So, in general, the higher the wind speed, the higher the voltage and current produced.

However, as you mentioned, there is also the concept of back-EMF to consider. This is essentially a counter electromotive force that is generated by the anemometer itself as it spins. This back-EMF can decrease the overall voltage and current produced, and its strength will depend on factors such as the design of the anemometer and the strength of the magnets used.

To accurately measure the wind speed using your anemometer-generator, you may need to do some experimentation and calibration. This could involve recording the voltage and current produced at different wind speeds and creating a graph to show the relationship between the two. You may also want to take into account the back-EMF and factor that into your measurements.

Overall, your project idea is a great way to apply physics concepts to a real-world application. Good luck with your project and don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it!

1. How does an anemometer-generator work?

An anemometer-generator is a device that combines an anemometer (used to measure wind speed) and a generator (used to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy). The anemometer part of the device measures the wind speed and sends this information to the generator, which then adjusts its output to produce electricity based on the wind speed. The faster the wind speed, the more electricity is produced.

2. What are the benefits of using an anemometer-generator?

An anemometer-generator is a renewable energy source, meaning it uses a naturally replenishing resource (wind) to generate electricity. It is also a clean energy source, as it does not produce harmful emissions like fossil fuels. Additionally, anemometer-generators have a low environmental impact and can be installed in various locations, making them a versatile option for energy production.

3. What are the limitations of using an anemometer-generator?

One limitation of anemometer-generators is that they are dependent on wind speed to generate electricity. This means that on days with low wind speeds, the electricity output will be lower. Additionally, anemometer-generators may not be suitable for all locations, as they require a certain amount of space and specific wind conditions to function efficiently.

4. How do you maintain an anemometer-generator?

Anemometer-generators require regular maintenance to ensure they are functioning properly. This includes checking for any damage or wear and tear, cleaning the device, and lubricating any moving parts. It is also important to regularly monitor the electricity output to ensure it is meeting expectations.

5. Can an anemometer-generator be used in conjunction with other energy sources?

Yes, anemometer-generators can be used in combination with other energy sources, such as solar panels or traditional power grids. This can help to provide a more consistent and reliable source of electricity, as the anemometer-generator can make up for any fluctuations in the other energy sources. Additionally, excess electricity generated by the anemometer-generator can be stored for future use.