1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anemometer-generator question

1. Jan 13, 2005 #1
    New to the forum :smile: .
    Secondly, I'm in grade 11 physics and we have this project to build an anemometer...

Alright, I have many ideas which may work but don't quite know how to incorporate physics into it...

Well, first off, we don't have a huge budget (below 30 bucks maybe?)...
    So the best our class could do would be a cup anemometer...yea simple but I was thinking I turn it into a generator (magnets, wires and so forth) so as it spins EMF/current is induced which is logged.

Now, the problem I'm having now is that how do I relate wind velocity with the voltage(EMF) and current that is produced by the anemometer-generator.

Are they directly proportional? Should I take into account "back-EMF" - higher wind speed means greater EMF but also greater back EMF...

Any information would be helpful!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought that maybe you could use a cheap bicycle speedometer to read off the RPMs. Googling for a price for one of these, I came upon this site (it's the secong hit when you google with "bicycle speedometer $") :

Oops, almost forgot : Welcome to the forums !! :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?