What Angle is the Path of a Moon Landing Descent Vehicle?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the angle of the vertical path of a descent vehicle landing on the moon. The vehicle has a vertical velocity of 31.7 m/s and a horizontal velocity of 58.6 m/s, resulting in a combined velocity of 66.625 m/s. To solve for the angle, trigonometric functions such as sin, cos, or tan can be used by drawing a triangle and identifying the correct angle. One angle must be 90 degrees due to the horizontal and vertical velocities. The specific function to use is not mentioned and further clarification is needed to determine the angle of the vertical path.
anglum
angle of vertical path?

Homework Statement

A descent vehicle landing on the moon has
a vertical velocity toward the surface of the
moon of 31:7 m=s. At the same time, it has a
horizontal velocity of 58:6 m=s. the combined velocity is 66.625m/s

At what angle with the vertical is its path?
Answer in units of degrees

Homework Equations

i am pretty sure i need to use sin, cos or tan for this but not sure exactly how

The Attempt at a Solution

i had solved for the combined velocity to get the 66.625 however now i am stuck on the next step

Physics news on Phys.org
if it helps, draw a triangle indicating the velocity and its components. Then you can use sin, cos, or tan to find the answer

if i draw it tho one angle has to be 90 degrees correct due to the horizontal and vertical velocity

i just am not sure whether to use cos sin or tan to find at what angle with the vertical is its path

What is the angle of vertical path?

The angle of vertical path, also known as the vertical angle, is the angle formed between a vertical line and a line representing the path or direction of an object.

How is the angle of vertical path measured?

The angle of vertical path is typically measured in degrees using a protractor or other measuring device. It can also be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent.

What is the significance of the angle of vertical path?

The angle of vertical path is important in understanding the trajectory and direction of an object. It can also be used in navigation and engineering to determine the optimal angle for launching or building structures.

How does the angle of vertical path affect the flight of a projectile?

The angle of vertical path can greatly impact the trajectory and distance traveled by a projectile. A higher angle can result in a longer flight time and greater range, while a lower angle may result in a shorter distance but potentially greater accuracy.

Can the angle of vertical path be changed?

Yes, the angle of vertical path can be changed by adjusting the direction or angle of the object's launch or movement. It can also be influenced by external factors such as wind or gravitational forces.