Why Is the Angle the Same for Different Weights in a Chair-O-Plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the angle formed by the chain of a chair-o-plane seat occupied by a child and a man of different weights. The tension and equations involved are mentioned, and the use of two equations is suggested to find the angle. The conversation ends with gratitude for the help provided.
ehabmozart

Homework Statement

The chair o plan seats are supported by chains hung from a circular structure. What angle to the vertical will be formed by the chain of a chair-o-plane seat is occupied by a 45 kg child if the tension is 550 N... I was able to solve this one.. THe question I need a help in is this: A nearby chair is occupied by a 90kg man. Explain why the angle formed by the chain will be the same as for the child... Mathematically, i feel this question is in apropiate.. If we say T cos theta is (mg) so by altering m , the angle changes too .. Isn't it.. if not, I need the correct answer..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you will find that you had to use 2 equations to find the angle θ.
Vertical component of tension = TCosθ = mg
and horizontal component TSinθ = mv^2/r
Put these together (to get Tanθ)... see what happens?

Thanks a lot dude... I owe u big time

1. What are angles in a chair or plane?

Angles in a chair or plane refer to the measurement of the space formed by two intersecting lines in a sitting position or on a flat surface.

2. How are angles important in a chair or plane?

Angles are important in a chair or plane because they determine the stability and comfort of the seating position or the orientation of objects on a flat surface.

3. What is the difference between acute and obtuse angles in a chair or plane?

An acute angle in a chair or plane is less than 90 degrees, while an obtuse angle is greater than 90 degrees. This affects the position and support provided by the chair or the stability of objects on a flat surface.

4. How do angles affect the design of chairs or planes?

The angles in the design of chairs or planes determine the functionality, comfort, and aesthetics of the product. Properly calculated angles ensure a stable and comfortable seating position or proper orientation of objects on a flat surface.

5. Can angles be adjusted in a chair or plane?

Yes, angles can be adjusted in some chairs or planes to provide customizable support and comfort. This is often seen in office chairs with adjustable backrests or reclining capabilities.