Angular Velocity: Angular Kinematics Homework

• Thread starter bionut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the question asks for the angular velocity of a cyclist's bike wheel, given the tangential speed and diameter of the wheel. After some initial confusion, the equation v = \omega r is used to solve for \omega, resulting in a final answer of 8.3 rad/sec.
bionut

Homework Statement

A cyclist is traveling at a speed of 30km/hr. If the diameter of the bike wheel is 0.70 meter, what is the angular velocity of the wheels in rad/sec?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, I have racked my brain trying ot work this out, I know the answer is 23.7 rad/sec
(but I don't know hoe to get there ;-(!
All I could come up with is 0.83m/s=speed and r=0.07m

Physics news on Phys.org
bionut said:

Homework Statement

A cyclist is traveling at a speed of 30km/hr. If the diameter of the bike wheel is 0.70 meter, what is the angular velocity of the wheels in rad/sec?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, I have racked my brain trying ot work this out, I know the answer is 23.7 rad/sec
(but I don't know hoe to get there ;-(!
All I could come up with is 0.83m/s=speed and r=0.07m
Welcome to Physics Forums.

The speed of the bicycle is the tangential speed of the wheels (assuming no slipping). So, the question now becomes, how is the tangential speed related to the angular speed of a disc?

okay, not sure if I am thinking is on the right track, but would the angular speed be in reference to revolutions/time period? Where 1 revolution - 2(pi)r?

bionut said:
okay, not sure if I am thinking is on the right track, but would the angular speed be in reference to revolutions/time period? Where 1 revolution - 2(pi)r?
Almost, the definition of angular velocity (or speed) should be in your notes or textbook. Perhaps you could look it up.

okay, all it says is angular speed = angular distance / change in time

If the total distance in 30 km = 3000m

r= 0.7m

I really just don't get it sorry... I am sure its very basic and I am missing something here... ill kick myself when I find out that's for sure !

Okay, thankyou for your help... but I am back to sqaure 1 lol... gawd !

okay if v=wr and s=2pi and the displacmeent is 2pi (6.8 rad) X 0.70 = 4.40, and v=30km/hr , is the tangential velcoity 0.83m/s

bionut said:
Okay, thankyou for your help... but I am back to sqaure 1 lol... gawd !

okay if v=wr and s=2pi and the displacmeent is 2pi (6.8 rad) X 0.70 = 4.40, and v=30km/hr , is the tangential velcoity 0.83m/s
Not quite. 30 km/hr is 8.33... m/s. So, the equation you need is

[tex]v = \omega r[/tex]

Now, you have v (8.33 m/s) and you can work out the radius, r. And you need to work out [itex]\omega[/itex]. Do you think you can do that?

... oh dear... it is 8.3m/s ... no wonder I have spent 1/2 the day try to work it out ... lol... told you I would kickmyself... instead I think i need paperbag lol...

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed point or axis. It is often represented by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of rotational motion, while linear velocity is a measure of straight-line motion. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular velocity?

The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle over a period of time, and Δt is the change in time.

4. Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative. It indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction.

5. How is angular velocity related to angular acceleration?

Angular velocity and angular acceleration are related through the formula ω = ω0 + αt, where ω0 is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time. This formula shows that angular velocity is directly proportional to angular acceleration.