Angular acceleration at the bottom

In summary, the ice cube experiences a normal force from the surface of the bowl and gravity acting downwards. At the instant the cube reaches the bottom of the bowl, its acceleration is 2g and the normal force is 3 times the magnitude of the cube's weight.
kolua

Homework Statement

You hold a small ice cube near the top edge of a hemispherical bowl of radius 100 mm. You release the cube from rest. What is the magnitude of its acceleration at the instant it reaches the bottom of the bowl? Ignore friction.

Homework Equations

a=v^2/r delta U= delta Krot +delta Ktrans

The Attempt at a Solution

mgR=1/2Iw^2+1/2mv^2
a=v^2/rSo I'm not sure if it is so far so good. How do I find the rotational inertia here? How should I approach this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can infer from the question saying 'small ice cube' that they want you to ignore any rotational energy of the cube. Such energy will be trivial if it is small, and cannot be calculated without knowing the size of the cube.

It's not usual rotation problem, because of the source of force is only gravity. As you know, it always acts toward ground, so you don't have to consider the rotational things.

kolua said:

Homework Statement

You hold a small ice cube near the top edge of a hemispherical bowl of radius 100 mm. You release the cube from rest. What is the magnitude of its acceleration at the instant it reaches the bottom of the bowl? Ignore friction.

Homework Equations

a=v^2/r delta U= delta Krot +delta Ktrans

The Attempt at a Solution

mgR=1/2Iw^2+1/2mv^2
a=v^2/rSo I'm not sure if it is so far so good. How do I find the rotational inertia here? How should I approach this question.

does a=2g sound good?

Last edited:
There is no horizontal forces acting the ice cube and only exist the vertical forces. The source of vertical force is only one. That is gravity.

kolua said:
does a=2g sound good?
Yes, it is correct.

ehild said:
Yes, it is correct.
Daeho Ro says it's only g?

You do not need to believe anybody. How did you get your result?

Daeho Ro said:
There is no horizontal forces acting the ice cube and only exist the vertical forces. The source of vertical force is only one. That is gravity.
There is not only gravity acting on the ice cube in the bowl. What do you think it is, and in what direction, up or down?

Likes Daeho Ro
ehild said:
There is not only gravity acting on the ice cube in the bowl. What do you think it is, and in what direction, up or down?
I think there's also a centripetal force that's upward. And that give the Fnet=mg=F-mg F=2mg=ma a=2g?

Likes Daeho Ro
kolua said:
I think there's also a centripetal force that's upward. And that give the Fnet=mg=F-mg F=2mg=ma a=2g?
The centripetal force does not "act": it is the resultant force needed to maintain circular motion with given radius and velocity. The wall of the bowl and the ice cube are in contact. Do they not exert force to each other? How this force is called?

ehild said:
The centripetal force does not "act": it is the resultant force needed to maintain circular motion with given radius and velocity. The wall of the bowl and the ice cube are in contact. Do they not exert force to each other? How this force is called?
Yes. I think's it's the contact force?

kolua said:
Yes. I think's it's the contact force?
Yes, or normal force. What do you think its magnitude is now?

Daeho Ro said:
The source of vertical force is only one. That is gravity.
I think my explanation is somewhat odd. Ignore this thing.

The forces acting on the ice cube are gravity and normal force. Of course, the normal force is larger than the gravity and the difference of these forces is acting as the centripetal force.

Last edited:
ehild said:
Yes, or normal force. What do you think its magnitude is now?
a=2g=19.6m/s^2?

You gave the acceleration. I asked the normal force.

ehild said:
You gave the acceleration. I asked the normal force.
3mg

Yes. Upward or downward?

ehild said:
Yes. Upward or downward?
upward

What is angular acceleration at the bottom?

Angular acceleration at the bottom refers to the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes as it rotates around a fixed axis at the bottom. It is a measure of how quickly the object's rotational speed is increasing or decreasing.

How is angular acceleration at the bottom calculated?

Angular acceleration at the bottom can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It is represented by the symbol alpha (α) and has units of radians per second squared (rad/s²).

What factors affect angular acceleration at the bottom?

The main factor that affects angular acceleration at the bottom is the torque applied to the object. Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate, and the greater the torque, the greater the angular acceleration. Other factors that can affect angular acceleration include the moment of inertia of the object and any external forces acting on it.

How does angular acceleration at the bottom relate to angular velocity?

Angular acceleration and angular velocity are closely related. Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates, while angular acceleration is the rate at which the object's angular velocity changes. In other words, angular acceleration is the derivative of angular velocity with respect to time.

What is the difference between angular acceleration at the bottom and linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration at the bottom is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed changes, while linear acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's linear speed changes. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²), while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²). Additionally, angular acceleration occurs in circular motion, while linear acceleration occurs in straight-line motion.