Angular Acceleration: Clarifying What αz is?

In summary, alpha z represents angular acceleration for rotation about the z-axis. The equation (2) states that alpha z = a/R, not alpha/R. The R cancels out and the "a" on the left is the same as ay. Dividing linear acceleration by the radius R results in angular acceleration.
oliampian

Homework Statement

upload_2016-5-3_23-2-18.png

upload_2016-5-3_23-14-9.png

upload_2016-5-3_23-3-9.png

This is not really a question on how to solve the problem, I'm just trying to get clarification on something. For angular acceleration, α, can someone explain to me what αz is? And why does αz = α / R = αy? I understand the rest of the problem, I just don't understand where or what αz is and how αz = α / R = αy. Thanks in advance for any help given!

Physics news on Phys.org
oliampian said:
For angular acceleration, α, can someone explain to me what αz is?
##\alpha_z## apparently represents the angular acceleration for rotation about the z-axis.
And why does αz = α / R = αy?
The print in the picture is small and hard to read. In equation (2) I think it states that ## \alpha_z = \large \frac{a}{R}##, not ##\alpha_z = \large \frac{\alpha}{R}.##

TSny said:
##\alpha_z## apparently represents the angular acceleration for rotation about the z-axis.

The print in the picture is small and hard to read. In equation (2) I think it states that ## \alpha_z = \large \frac{a}{R}##, not ##\alpha_z = \large \frac{\alpha}{R}.##

Ohhh, you're right about the a/R not α/R. But can you explain to me why does a/R = ay?

oliampian said:
Ohhh, you're right about the a/R not α/R. But can you explain to me why does a/R = ay?
They aren't claiming that a/R = ay.

The R cancels: (1/2)MR(a/R) = (1/2)May. The "a" on the left is the same as ay.

TSny said:
They aren't claiming that a/R = ay.

The R cancels: (1/2)MR(a/R) = (1/2)May. The "a" on the left is the same as ay.

Ok I see. And just to clarify, if I divide a linear acceleration by the radius R then we get angular acceleration?

Nvm! Figured it out. Thank yoooou! :)

Last edited:

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration, denoted by αz, is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is related to linear acceleration through the equation αz = a/r, where a is the linear acceleration and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of interest. This means that the farther away an object is from the axis of rotation, the smaller its angular acceleration will be for a given linear acceleration.

What is the unit of measurement for angular acceleration?

The unit of measurement for angular acceleration is radians per second squared (rad/s^2). This can also be written as degrees per second squared (°/s^2), but radians per second squared is the standard unit in physics.

How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by taking the change in angular velocity (ω) over a certain time interval (t) and dividing it by that time interval, or αz = (ω2 - ω1)/t. This can also be written as αz = Δω/Δt, where Δ represents "change in" and ω1 and ω2 are the initial and final angular velocities, respectively.

What factors affect angular acceleration?

The main factors that affect angular acceleration are the magnitude and direction of the applied torque, the moment of inertia of the object, and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of interest. The direction of the angular acceleration will also depend on the direction of the applied torque and the direction of the object's angular velocity.