Angular acceleration, friction, and turntables

In summary: Your thought process is correct - friction is a force between two surfaces and it decreases the velocity of the surfaces. In this particular case, when the friction is greater than the coefficient of static friction ( µ ), the surfaces will not move together and the block will slip.
exi

Homework Statement

A copper block rests 33.8 cm from the center of a turntable. The coefficient of static friction between the block and turntable is 0.52. The table starts from rest and accelerates with an angular acceleration of 0.226 rad/s².

Acceleration of gravity = 9.8 m/s².

After what interval, in seconds, will the block start to slip on the turntable?

Homework Equations

Tangential acceleration = angular acceleration * radius, so At = 0.226 * 0.338 = 0.0764 m/s².

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the turntable drawn out with a radius of 0.338 m, a block on the edge with unknown mass and a tangential acceleration of 0.0764 m/s², and µ = 0.52.

I'm a little hazy on how to progress; does the lack of mass information pose a problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Consider the total acceleration, not just the tangential component.

What's the maximum static friction force possible? Thus, what's the maximum acceleration that the friction can create?

Doc Al said:
Hint: Consider the total acceleration, not just the tangential component.

What's the maximum static friction force possible? Thus, what's the maximum acceleration that the friction can create?

If static friction is <= µs*Fn, I would try to take it from there, but I'm at a loss as to how to go about something with an unknown mass. Unfortunately, this question (and several others on this particular assignment) go to a significantly greater depth than what we've seen in lecture, so it's a bit confusing to a relative beginner.

Call the mass "m". Maybe you won't need it. :wink:

Hint: What's the maximum acceleration that the friction can create without slipping?

Doc Al said:

Hint: What's the maximum acceleration that the friction can create without slipping?

Well, friction force would be equal to or less than 5.096*m if I'm going about this the right way, which means... sorry, I'm a little lost. I'm sure I'm overlooking something right in front of me, but I'm having a hard time seeing this clearly at the moment.

exi said:
Well, friction force would be equal to or less than 5.096*m if I'm going about this the right way, which means... sorry, I'm a little lost. I'm sure I'm overlooking something right in front of me, but I'm having a hard time seeing this clearly at the moment.

Now, what is the maximum acceleration the block can have withouit slipping?

Doc Al said:

nrqed said:
Now, what is the maximum acceleration the block can have withouit slipping?

Guys, I think we might not have covered that in any great detail in the hurried lectures leading up to the last exam we just had. I'm afraid I'm not sure what the relationship is between frictional force and acceleration. (The other question about tangential acceleration I had posted was also new territory for us.) :frown:

exi said:
Well, friction force would be equal to or less than 5.096*m if I'm going about this the right way, which means...
You're doing fine. But I would suggest that you express things symbolically wherever possible and only plug in numbers when you need to calculate an answer. I'd write that as: Max Friction = µmg.

exi said:
Guys, I think we might not have covered that in any great detail in the hurried lectures leading up to the last exam we just had. I'm afraid I'm not sure what the relationship is between frictional force and acceleration.
It's the same relationship between any force and acceleration: Newton's 2nd law.

Doc Al said:
You're doing fine. But I would suggest that you express things symbolically wherever possible and only plug in numbers when you need to calculate an answer. I'd write that as: Max Friction = µmg.

It's the same relationship between any force and acceleration: Newton's 2nd law.

Okay, so as far as that goes, µmg = ma, which is a = µg. So if that's the acceleration you were hinting towards as far as the most the block can endure without slipping away, how does that play into the rest of the info given in the question?

See my hint in post #2. You found the tangential acceleration, what about the radial (a.k.a centripetal) component? What affects that component?

This is what I've been doing:

Taking from the above, frictional force where µ = 0.52, once solved through Newton's second, is coming out to be 5.096 m/s². I was under the impression that this would be acting along the radius of the circle, so using ac = v²/r, I found velocity, and tried to use that to find a period via v = 2*pi*r / T - and end up with 1.6182 s, which is not a correct answer.

Where is my error in thought? I've got 85% of this thing completed, and the rest is due at midnight tonight, so I'm trying to understand what I'm still missing...

exi said:
Taking from the above, frictional force where µ = 0.52, once solved through Newton's second, is coming out to be 5.096 m/s².
That's the maximum total acceleration, not the radial component. Since you know the tangential component, figure out the radial component.

I was under the impression that this would be acting along the radius of the circle, so using ac = v²/r, I found velocity, and tried to use that to find a period via v = 2*pi*r / T - and end up with 1.6182 s, which is not a correct answer.
You're on the right track, just using the wrong value for the centripetal acceleration.

Doing the same thing that I did for another question where I had to find the total acceleration, I'm getting a number that's within thousandths of a point, and working it out again, the "answer" is also within a thousandth or two - probably well within the 1% margin of error we have, so apparently I'm still doing something wrong.

Tangential acceleration is equal to angular acceleration (rad/s²) * radius (m), right? I was able to sketch things and use straight Pythagorean theorem to find the answer on a similar question... hrmph.

exi said:
Doing the same thing that I did for another question where I had to find the total acceleration, I'm getting a number that's within thousandths of a point, and working it out again, the "answer" is also within a thousandth or two - probably well within the 1% margin of error we have, so apparently I'm still doing something wrong.
You're right. Accounting for the tangential acceleration makes a negligible correction. (My bad for not checking!)

I see what you did wrong:

exi said:
...so using ac = v²/r, I found velocity, and tried to use that to find a period via v = 2*pi*r / T - and end up with 1.6182 s, which is not a correct answer.
This is an incorrect approach. (Again, I must have been sleeping before.) You have the speed and the acceleration (the tangential acceleration)--use simple kinematics to find the time it takes to attain that speed.

I've got several kinematics equations in front of me - one-dimensional, projectile motion, some circular motion, ... - but nothing for circular motion that incorporates strictly time in seconds. I suppose I'm missing something useful there.

The tangential acceleration (which you calculated in post #1) works just like any other one-dimensional linear acceleration. (The fact that it's going in a circle doesn't matter.)

Doc Al said:
The tangential acceleration (which you calculated in post #1) works just like any other one-dimensional linear acceleration. (The fact that it's going in a circle doesn't matter.)

Ohhhhhhhhh, that makes perfect sense now; 17.177s makes much more sense. Epiphany, ahoy.

Thanks so much for walking me through it.

My pleasure. (Sorry if I threw you off a bit before.)

Related to Angular acceleration, friction, and turntables

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of rotational motion, while linear acceleration is a measure of straight-line motion. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

3. How does friction affect angular acceleration?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can cause angular acceleration to decrease. On a turntable, friction between the record and the turntable's surface can slow down the rotation of the record.

4. What factors can affect the amount of friction on a turntable?

Factors such as the type of surface the turntable is on, the weight of the record, and the condition of the turntable's components can all affect the amount of friction on a turntable. Additionally, the type and condition of the stylus can also impact the amount of friction between the record and the turntable.

5. How can friction on a turntable be reduced?

To reduce friction on a turntable, it is important to keep the turntable and record clean and free of dust and debris. Using a record cleaning brush and keeping the stylus clean can also help reduce friction. Additionally, using a turntable mat or slipmat made of materials such as felt or cork can also help reduce friction.