Angular acceleration - Please check if this is correct and

In summary, the question asks for the initial and final angular velocities and angular acceleration of a car's tires as it reduces speed from 90.0 km/h to 60.0 km/h with a diameter of 0.900m. After reviewing the work, there was a minor error in converting km to m. After correcting this, the final answer for angular acceleration should be -1.605 rad/sec^2.
nukeman
Angular acceleration - Please check if this is correct and...

Homework Statement

Question:

Each of the tires of a car makes 85.0 revolutions as the car reduces its speed uniformly from 90.0 km/h to 60.0 km/m, The tires have a diamater of .900m.

Find initial and final angular Velocities

Find the angular acceleration of tires in rad/s^2

My answers: Please tell me if that's right, because I have NO idea if its correct.

awu9at.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

If I am interpreting your work correctly, you are changing the km to m by multiplying by 900 instead of by 1000.

I think that the rest is OK.

Oops lol

Where wherever I have 900, change to 1000 correct? Just to be sure :)

Because when I change that, I get -1.60 is that correct for this question?

Because someone told me they got -4.88 ?

Last edited:

I got angular acc = -1.605rad/sec^2.

Your answers are partially correct. The initial and final angular velocities should be in units of radians per second (rad/s), not revolutions per second (rev/s). To convert from revolutions to radians, you can use the conversion factor 1 revolution = 2π radians. So the initial angular velocity would be (85.0 rev)*(2π rad/rev) = 170π rad/s.

The final angular velocity can be found using the formula ωf = ωi + αt, where ωi is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time interval. Since the car is reducing its speed from 90.0 km/h to 60.0 km/h, the time interval would be the difference in time between these two speeds. You can use the formula d = vt to find the time interval, where d is the distance traveled (which is equal to the circumference of the tire), v is the velocity, and t is the time. So the final angular velocity would be ωf = 170π rad/s + αt.

To find the angular acceleration, you can use the formula α = (ωf - ωi)/t, where ωf and ωi are the final and initial angular velocities, respectively, and t is the time interval. You can use the same time interval that you found for the final angular velocity.

So to summarize, your answers should be:

Initial angular velocity: 170π rad/s
Final angular velocity: 170π rad/s + αt
Angular acceleration: α = (ωf - ωi)/t

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the speed at which an object rotates around an axis. It is typically measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²) or degrees per second squared (°/s²).

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how an object's rotational speed changes over time, while linear acceleration is a measure of how an object's linear speed changes over time. Angular acceleration is related to circular motion, while linear acceleration is related to straight-line motion.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular acceleration?

The formula for angular acceleration is α = (ω₂ - ω₁)/t, where α is the angular acceleration, ω₂ is the final angular velocity, ω₁ is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval over which the change in angular velocity occurs.

4. How is angular acceleration measured?

Angular acceleration can be measured using a device called an accelerometer, which measures changes in rotational speed. It can also be calculated using data from other instruments, such as an angular velocity sensor or a gyroscope.

5. What factors affect angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be affected by several factors, including the mass and shape of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, and any external forces or torques acting on the object. The moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, also plays a role in determining angular acceleration.