How Is Angular Acceleration Calculated for a Rotating Door?

In summary, the rotating door in the drawing is made from four rectangular glass panes, each with a mass of 95 kg. A person applies a force of 80 N perpendicular to one pane. Using the formula F=ma, the tangential acceleration is calculated to be 0.84 m/s^2. However, this approach is incorrect as the movement is rotational, so torque and moment of inertia should be used. The moment of inertia of the door needs to be calculated first. It would also be helpful to know more about the diagram and if the moment of inertia and torque have been discussed in the textbook.
owura143
1. rotating door is made from four rectangular glass panes, as shown in the drawing. The mass of each pane is 95 kg. A person pushes on the outer edge of one pane with a force of F = 80 N that is directed perpendicular to the pane. Determine the magnitude of the door's angular acceleration.

The with of each pane to the rotation axis is 1.2m

This is how I approached it

F=ma
a= f/m =80/95 = 0.84

Now Tangential Acceleration a = angular acceleration x radius

angular acceleration = tangential acceleration/radius

= 0.84/1.2 = 0.70 rad/m^2

this answer was wrong

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the movement is rotational, you should use torque and momentum of inertia, instead of force and mass.

SGT said:
Since the movement is rotational, you should use torque and momentum of inertia, instead of force and mass.

How do I do that? Where do i start? please hep

Well, what do you know about torque and moment of inertia? In particular, do you know how to relate torque to the angular acceleration?

no. I don't

Well firstly you need to work out the moment of inertia of the door. Could you explain more precisely what the diagram looks like? Do you know what the moment of inertia is? Do you know how to find the moment of inertia of a solid object? Have you come across anything in your textbook relating it and the torque to the angular acceleration?

As an aside, in response to your pm, I'm sorry-- I can't keep track of every thread I help in.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing, and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration refers to the change in an object's rotational motion, whereas linear acceleration refers to the change in an object's linear motion. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2), while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. What causes angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is caused by a net torque acting on an object. Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. The greater the torque, the greater the resulting angular acceleration.

4. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation alpha = (omega2 - omega1) / (t2 - t1), where alpha is angular acceleration, omega is angular velocity, and t is time.

5. How is angular acceleration used in real life?

Angular acceleration is a fundamental concept in physics and is used in various real-life scenarios. For example, it is used in the design and analysis of rotating machinery, such as engines and turbines. It is also important in understanding the motion of objects in rotational sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics.