What is the constant angular acceleration of a rotating wheel?

In summary, the question is asking for the constant angular acceleration of a rotating wheel that takes 2.93 seconds to complete 37.0 revolutions and has an angular speed of 97.1 rad/s at the end of that interval. The solution involves using the equations θ(f) = θ(i) + (ωi)t + (1/2)α(t^2) and ω(f) = ω(i) + α*t to find the initial velocity (ωi) and then plugging it into the first equation to solve for the constant angular acceleration (α). The answer should be around 10 rad/s^2.
Nanabit
A rotating wheel requires 2.93 s to complete 37.0 revolutions. Its angular speed at the end of the 2.93 s interval is 97.1 rad/s. What is the constant angular acceleration of the wheel?

I know this should be easy. I'm just missing something. I figured 37 rev = 232 rad (=theta). Then I used the kinematic
Theta(f) = Theta(i)+(omega)(i)t+(1/2)(alpha)(t^2). But somehow it isn't working out. I know the answer should be around 15 or so but I keep getting 120 rad/sec^2!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't use your initial equation directly because you don't know the initial velocity yet. Use ωf = (ωi) + α*t; to find ωi. Then you can plug that into your other constant acceleration question to find α. If I did it correctly, the acceleration should come out closer to 10 rad/s

How can you use ùf = (ùi) + á*t to find ùi when you don't know what á is?

(alright well you know what those symbols should mean)

You solve for ωi in terms of α and plug it into the other equation. It's a system of 2 equations with 2 unknowns.

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly the angular velocity of an object is changing. In other words, it describes how fast an object is rotating and in what direction.

How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Linear acceleration is a measure of how quickly the speed of an object is changing in a straight line. Angular acceleration, on the other hand, is a measure of how quickly the rotational speed of an object is changing around a fixed point.

What is the formula for calculating angular acceleration?

The formula for angular acceleration is α = Δω/Δt, where α is the angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

How is angular acceleration related to angular velocity and moment of inertia?

Angular acceleration is directly proportional to both angular velocity and moment of inertia. This means that an increase in either angular velocity or moment of inertia will result in an increase in angular acceleration.

What are some real-life examples of angular acceleration?

Some common examples of angular acceleration include the rotation of a car's steering wheel, the spinning of a top, and the rotation of a planet around its axis. Additionally, any object that is rotating or moving in a circular motion experiences angular acceleration.