Angular displacement & velocity

In summary: If that doesn't work, try entering 0.327 without any units. If that doesn't work, well, I give up.In summary, the question asks for the average angular acceleration of a bicycle wheel after it is spun and completes 13.7 revolutions, starting with an initial angular velocity of 7.05 rad/s. Using the formula for average angular acceleration, it can be calculated as -0.327 rad/s^2. However, there may be some issues with the answer being accepted by the program.
pttest

Homework Statement

After fixing a flat tire on a bicycle you give the wheel a spin. Its initial angular speed was 7.05 rad/s and it rotated 13.7 revolutions before coming to rest. What was its average angular acceleration?

Homework Equations

ω2 = 2 alpha . theta

The Attempt at a Solution

ωi = 7.5 rad/s
ωf = 0
theta = 13.7 rev = 86.04 rad
alpha = ?

Using the above equation : alpha = -0.327rad/s^2. But the answer is wrong. Could someone help me??

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: Ignore this post. The poster below is correct.

Last edited:
slider142 said:
The "average angular acceleration" has a simple definition: the total change in angular velocity over the total angle covered (in radians), both of which are given by the problem. This is completely analogous to "average linear acceleration", as are most of the definitions of angular quantities. This gives quite a different answer to yours, which is part of an equation of instantaneous quantities (derivatives). Since it is quadratic in nature, it would need corrections to the linear approximation you are making with average quantities.

Angular acceleration is change in angular velocity divided by the time interval over which this change takes place. The dimensions don't come out right otherwise.

Your numerical answer seems to be correct. what makes you think it is not?

When I enter that answer in the box (masteringphysics HW), it says try again. So thought it might be a wrong answer.

pttest said:
When I enter that answer in the box (masteringphysics HW), it says try again. So thought it might be a wrong answer.

In my opinion, "Mastering Physics" sometimes behaves incredibly stupidly and by this I mean it asks ambiguous questions. Try entering your answer without the negative sign.

Related to Angular displacement & velocity

1. What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is a measure of the change in position of an object or point with respect to a fixed reference point, measured in degrees or radians. It is used to describe the orientation of an object as it moves along a circular path.

2. How is angular displacement calculated?

Angular displacement can be calculated by subtracting the initial angle from the final angle, and taking into account the direction of rotation (clockwise or counterclockwise). The resulting value is the change in position, measured in degrees or radians.

3. What is the difference between angular displacement and linear displacement?

Angular displacement is the change in orientation of an object along a circular path, while linear displacement is the change in position of an object along a straight path. Angular displacement is measured in degrees or radians, while linear displacement is typically measured in meters or feet.

4. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. Angular velocity is typically measured in degrees or radians per second.

5. How is angular velocity related to linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related through the radius of the circular path. The linear velocity of an object moving along a circular path is equal to the angular velocity multiplied by the radius of the circle. This relationship is described by the formula v = ωr, where v is linear velocity, ω is angular velocity, and r is the radius.