Angular Momentum and the Role of h-Bar in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the h bar is included in the derivation of the eigenvalues of angular momentum because it is a construct that works and is from the definition of angular momentum.
waht
I'm doing some reading on quantum mechanics and have a quick question about angular momentum.

In the derivation of the eigen values of J (which is either L or S), it starts out like this:

Jz (Pm) = hm (Pm)

Where Pm is Phi sub m, h is h bar and m is the eigen value. (sorry my latex is a little rusty). And then they explain using J+ or J- which I understand.

So my question is why did they include the h bar, where does it come from?

And same thing goes with the derivation of J^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
waht said:
It comes from :

1. The definition of angular momentum, [itex]\mathbf{L} = \mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{p} [/itex], and

2. The position representation of the momentum operator, [itex]\mathbf{p} = - i\hbar ~\nabla [/itex]

The [itex]\hbar[/itex] in 2 above comes from construction. It was chosen, by Dirac if I'm not mistaken, and it works.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
It comes from :

1. The definition of angular momentum, [itex]\mathbf{L} = \mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{p} [/itex], and

2. The position representation of the momentum operator, [itex]\mathbf{p} = - i\hbar ~\nabla [/itex]

The [itex]\hbar[/itex] in 2 above comes from construction. It was chosen, by Dirac if I'm not mistaken, and it works.

My understanding is if the amplitude wave goes through one phase cycle you can imagine that as a point rotating around a circle, and the total action for one rotation would be h, so the average rate of increase of action is h over the angular measure of a complete circle, [tex]2\pi[/tex].

waht said:
I'm doing some reading on quantum mechanics and have a quick question about angular momentum.

In the derivation of the eigen values of J (which is either L or S), it starts out like this:

Jz (Pm) = hm (Pm)

Where Pm is Phi sub m, h is h bar and m is the eigen value. (sorry my latex is a little rusty). And then they explain using J+ or J- which I understand.

And same thing goes with the derivation of J^2.
If they start the derivation like that, I can only assume that they set out to find the eigenvalues and they name the eigenvalue hm. There's no loss of generality, since at this stage m could be any real number. Only after you find that m must be a multiple of 1/2 you'll see it was a good choice. Same thing for J^2.

Gokul43201 said:
It comes from :

In most modern texts I've seen it derived by looking at the generators of rotations, and then concluding the commutation relations
[tex][L_\imath, L_\jmath] = \imath \epsilon_{\imath \jmath k} \hbar L_k[/tex] and then realizing that, like how momentum is the generator of space translations, angular momentum is the generator of rotations.

The h-bar also allows the eigenvalues m to be dimensionless, as h has the same units as angular momentum. As was said above, there's no loss of generality.

Incidentally [action]=[angular momentum]. Why "h" bar and not simply h...? Well, Dirac invented it since h/2pi always appeared in Schroedinger wave mechanics...

Daniel.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object around a fixed point. It is a vector quantity that is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and depends on its mass and distribution of mass around its axis of rotation. Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around its axis.

3. What is the law of conservation of angular momentum?

The law of conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant if there are no external torques acting on it. This means that the initial angular momentum of a system will be equal to its final angular momentum, even if there are internal forces or changes in rotational speed.

4. How does angular momentum differ from linear momentum?

Angular momentum and linear momentum are both measures of an object's motion, but they are calculated differently. Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line, while angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. Linear momentum is a vector quantity, while angular momentum is a vector quantity that also has direction.

5. What are some real-world examples of angular momentum?

Some real-world examples of angular momentum include the rotation of a spinning top, the movement of a gyroscope, the motion of a spinning figure skater, and the rotation of planets around the sun. Angular momentum is also involved in the motion of atoms and subatomic particles.