Angular momentum; flying motorcycle

In summary, the conversation discusses the distance between the wheels and the center of mass of a motorcycle, as well as the forces acting on it. The problem involves finding the horizontal acceleration that will cause the front wheel to rise off the ground. The solution involves considering the torques and forces acting on the center of gravity, with the engine and weight of the motorcycle being the main factors.
MrRice5555

Homework Statement

The distance between the centers of the wheels of a motorcycle is 155 cm. The center of mass of the motorcycle, including the biker, is 88.0 cm above the ground and halfway between the wheels. Assume the mass of each wheel is small compared with the body of the motorcycle. The engine drives the rear wheel only. What horizontal acceleration of the motorcycle will make the front wheel rise off the ground?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex] [tex]\tau[/tex]= I [tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\tau[/tex] = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to even start this. I drew a diagram, and tried to sum the torques by placing the axis of rotation at the center of the rear wheel. Have no idea what to do from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try putting your center of rotation at the point where the rear wheel touches the ground. What are the forces acting on the center of gravity?

OH I see there's a force applied from the engine as well as the weight of the engine. I believe I got the answer. Thanks!

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to a flying motorcycle?

In the context of a flying motorcycle, angular momentum would refer to the rotational motion of the motorcycle as it flies through the air. It would be affected by factors such as the motorcycle's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

3. How does angular momentum affect the stability of a flying motorcycle?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in the stability of a flying motorcycle. A motorcycle with a high angular momentum would be more stable, as it would be harder to rotate or tilt. On the other hand, a motorcycle with a low angular momentum would be more prone to rotation and tilting, making it less stable.

4. Can angular momentum be changed while riding a flying motorcycle?

Yes, it is possible to change the angular momentum of a flying motorcycle while riding it. This can be done by altering the motorcycle's moment of inertia or its angular velocity, either intentionally or unintentionally through external forces.

5. How can angular momentum be calculated for a flying motorcycle?

To calculate the angular momentum of a flying motorcycle, you would need to know its moment of inertia and its angular velocity. The formula for angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.