Angular Momentum of an ice skater

In summary, an ice skater has an angular velocity of 4 rad/s. When she tucks in her arms, her moment of inertia decreases by 7.5%, which results in a decreased kinetic energy.
timtng
An ice skater doing a toe spin with outstretched arms has an angular velocity of 4 rad/s. She then tucks in her arms, decreasing her moment of inertia by 7.5%

a. What is the resulting angular velocity?
b. By what factor does the skater's kinetic energy change?

For a, I use IW = I'W' >> 1(4rad/s) = (1-.075)W', then solve for W'
I got 4.32 rad/s for W'. I don't know if I'm doing it correctly. Also, I need help on part b.

For part b I got .925. Is that correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For part a. you got the correct answer, but I'm not sure whether you are "shortcutting" the calculation or whether you just got lucky.

I would say:
the initial angular momentum
L = Ii* ωi
L = 4*Ii
then the moment of inertia decreases by 7.5% so If = .925*Ii and thus
L = .925*Ii * ωf
4*Ii = .925*Ii * ωf
4 = .925 * ωf
ωf = 4 / .925
ωf = 4.32 rad/s

So if that is what you intended, you were doing it correctly.

For part b, your answer is not correct, but you probably have the right idea. You're just not answering the right question. You don't really mean that the energy changed by 92.5%, do you?

You did part a correctly.

You didn't say how you did part b, but it goes something like this:

Ko = .5*I*ω^2

you're looking for K/Ko

K = .5*I'*(ω')^2 = .5*(.925*I)*(I*ω/(.925*I))^2

(velocity calculation from conservation of angular momentum (part a))

From this, K/Ko = 1/.925

I see I'm too slow with the response again; maybe I need to increase my momentum.

Yeah, well, yesterday I was real quick with some dumb answers, so I'll be taking my time from now on...

what I don't understand is why 1/.925?

I guess the question is a little vague. I would have said the energy decreases by 7.5%. At first I took your original answer to be that it decreased by 92.5%, but I guess you meant that it was multiplied by 92.5%, so maybe we're saying the same thing & the only difference is semantics.

But I agree with you -- I wouldn't say 1/.925

At the risk of being slow and stupid, wouldn't the kinetic energy increase? I can't see what I did wrong in my previous post. Let me try again:

we all agree that ω = 4.32 rad/s

initial kinetic energy Ko = .5*I*ωi^2 = .5*I*4^2 = 8*I

final kinetic energy K = .5*(.925I)*(4.32)^2 = 8.65*I

There may be a semantics issue here, but I'm calling the factor by which the kinetic energy changes k, so that K = k*Ko

In that case k = K/Ko = 8.65/8 = 1.08 (=1/.925)

You're right James. I guess I'm still going too fast. I did everything exactly the same as you until the very end, when somehow that .925 slipped from the denominator up to the numerator.

The final kinetic energy is 8I/.925 so it increases by 1/.925 or 8.1%

No worries. I do the same kind of thing all the time; the avatar to my left is actually a scale drawing of the size of my brain relative to my cranium :wink:.

Thank y'all very much for taking time to help me. I appreciate it.

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is Angular Momentum calculated?

Angular Momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of an object by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to change in its rotational motion, and angular velocity is the rate at which the object rotates.

3. What is the Angular Momentum of an ice skater when they are spinning?

The Angular Momentum of an ice skater when they are spinning is equal to the moment of inertia of the skater multiplied by their angular velocity. This means that the faster the skater spins or the larger their moment of inertia, the greater their Angular Momentum will be.

4. What happens to the Angular Momentum of an ice skater when they pull in their arms?

When an ice skater pulls in their arms, they decrease their moment of inertia, which causes their Angular Momentum to increase. This is due to the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

5. Why does an ice skater spin faster when they pull in their arms?

When an ice skater pulls in their arms, they decrease their moment of inertia, which causes their angular velocity to increase in order to maintain a constant Angular Momentum. This is due to the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.