Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum theory problem probably wrong sign

1. Jun 17, 2011 #1
    I have to prove that [itex]\left\langle lm | \vec{\hat{r}} \times \vec{\hat{p}} | lm\right \rangle = \left\langle lm | \vec{\hat{p}} \times \vec{\hat{r}} | lm \right \rangle[/itex], where [itex] | lm \rangle [/itex] are eigenkets of angular momentum operator [itex] \hat{L}^2 [/itex]

And I can't figure out a way to do this correctly. I wrote the angular momentum operator-vector in terms of its components, [itex] \hat{L_x} [/itex], [itex] \hat{L_y} [/itex] and [itex] \hat{L_z} [/itex], and only the [itex] \hat{k} [/itex] component survives the bra-ket operation, because I can write [itex] \vec{L_x} [/itex] y [itex] \vec{L_y} [/itex] in terms of ladder operators, and after lowering and rising the eigenstates, the corresponding eigenkets (except for the [itex] \hat{k} [/itex] component) cancel with [itex] \langle lm | [/itex] because of the orthogonality property of these eigenkets. Probably there is a wrong sign in the problem statement. Looks trivial in that case, but I want to know your opinion.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2011 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Undoubtedly the wrong sign.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook