What happens to angular velocity when there is no force of acceleration?

So, in summary, the curve would look like a straight horizontal line when plotting angular velocity against time.
chloechloe
I am trying to answer a question, but I don't really understand what is being asked.
If you were to plot angular velocity against time and there was not force of acceleration explain what the curve would look like.

I would guess a straight horizontal line since angular acceleration is the slope of the line. I don't really understand the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
chloechloe said:
I am trying to answer a question, but I don't really understand what is being asked.
If you were to plot angular velocity against time and there was not force of acceleration explain what the curve would look like.

I would guess a straight horizontal line since angular acceleration is the slope of the line. I don't really understand the question.

Welcome to PF.

Looks like you understand the question OK.

If there is no forces on the system, then no acceleration and no change in rate of displacement as per Newton's First Law.

The curve of angular velocity against time would indeed be a straight horizontal line if there is no force or acceleration acting on the object. This is because according to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object will continue to maintain its state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the object is not experiencing any external force or acceleration, so it will maintain a constant angular velocity. This also means that the object's inertia, or resistance to change in motion, is at play in this scenario. I hope this helps to clarify the concept of angular motion and inertia.

Related to What happens to angular velocity when there is no force of acceleration?

1. What is angular motion?

Angular motion refers to the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis. It is also known as rotational motion and can occur in both circular and non-circular paths.

2. What is inertia in relation to angular motion?

Inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its state of motion. In angular motion, it refers to an object's resistance to changes in its rotational speed or direction.

3. How is angular motion measured?

Angular motion can be measured using units such as radians, degrees, or revolutions. These units represent the amount of rotation an object has undergone.

4. What are the factors that affect angular motion?

The factors that affect angular motion include the mass of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the applied torque or force. These factors determine the object's angular velocity and acceleration.

5. How does angular motion relate to linear motion?

Angular motion and linear motion are closely related, as they both involve the movement of an object. However, angular motion refers to the rotation of an object around an axis, while linear motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line.