Angular movement problems,

In summary, the conversation is about a person who needs help with two homework problems. The first problem involves finding the angular speed of a uniform, solid disk with a small object attached to it when released from rest. The second problem is about designing a rotating axle to lift 800-N buckets of cement to a rooftop. The person seeking help is reminded to follow the rules of the forum and show effort in solving the problems before receiving assistance.
tanglx61
Hi people, I am pretty desperate because I have not the least idea of how to do two questions on my homework which is due for tomorrow..Please take a look and if you could do them, that's great, and if you could bother to explain them to me, i will appreciate it a lot!
Thank you! and here are the problems:
1.A uniform, solid disk with mass M and radius R is pivoted about a horizontal axis through its center. A small object of the same mass M is glued to the rim of the disk. If the disk is released from the rest with the small object at the end of a horizontal radius, find hte angular speed when the small object is directly below the axis.2. You are to design a rotating cylindrical axle to life 800-N buckets of cement from the ground to a rooftop 78.0 m above the ground. The buckets will be attached to a hook on the free end of a cable that wraps around the rim of the axle, as the axle turns, the bucket will rise.
A) what should the diameter of the axle be in order to raise the buckets at a steady 2.00 cm/s wen it is turning at 7.5 rpm?
B) If instead the axle must give the buckets an upward acceleration of 0.400 m/s^2, what should the angular acceleration of the axle be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tanglx61, welcome to PF. Please observe the rules of this forum before seeking homework help.
On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums.

For the first question, we can use the principle of conservation of angular momentum to solve for the final angular velocity. Initially, the disk and the small object have zero angular momentum as they are at rest. When the disk is released, the small object will start moving in a circular path due to the gravitational force acting on it. At this point, the disk will also start rotating in the opposite direction to conserve angular momentum. We can set up the equation as follows:

Initial angular momentum = Final angular momentum
(0) = (I1 + I2)ωf

Where I1 and I2 are the moments of inertia of the disk and the small object respectively and ωf is the final angular velocity.

We can calculate the moment of inertia of a disk about its center using the formula I = (1/2)MR^2. For the small object, we can approximate it as a point mass rotating around the rim of the disk, so its moment of inertia is MR^2. Substituting these values into the equation, we get:

(0) = ((1/2)MR^2 + MR^2)ωf
ωf = 0

This means that the disk will not have any angular velocity at the moment the small object is directly below the axis. However, the small object will have a linear velocity, which we can calculate using the formula v = ωr, where ω is the angular velocity and r is the radius of the disk. Since the small object is at the end of a radius, its linear velocity will be maximum and equal to v = ωR. Therefore, the maximum speed of the small object will be v = ωR = 0, which means the small object will be stationary at this point.

For the second question, we can use the formula for work done by a torque to solve for the diameter of the axle. The work done by a torque is given by the formula W = τθ, where τ is the torque and θ is the angle through which the torque acts. In this case, the torque is due to the weight of the buckets, so we can write:

W = mgθ

Where m is the mass of the bucket, g is the acceleration due to gravity and θ is the angle through which the bucket has been lifted. We can also express θ in terms of the linear displacement of the bucket using the formula θ = s/r

1. What is angular movement?

Angular movement, also known as rotational motion, is the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis. It involves the rotation of an object in a circular path.

2. How is angular movement different from linear movement?

Angular movement involves the rotation of an object, while linear movement involves the straight-line motion of an object. Angular movement also involves the concept of torque, which is not applicable in linear movement.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular velocity?

The formula for calculating angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω represents angular velocity, Δθ represents the change in angle, and Δt represents the change in time.

4. How does angular momentum affect angular movement?

Angular momentum is a property of a rotating object that determines its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque, which can affect the object's angular movement.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular movement?

Some real-life examples of angular movement include the rotation of a wheel, the swinging of a pendulum, the spinning of a top, and the movement of a gymnast during a routine on the uneven bars.