Angular position, speed, and acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angular acceleration and angle of rotation for a dentist's drill that starts from rest and accelerates at a constant rate for 3.30 seconds. The equations used are \omegaf=\omegai+\alphat and \varthetaf=\varthetai+\omegait+(1/2)\alphat2. The solution involves converting the given rate of 2.52 multiplied by 104 rev/min to rad/s2 for angular acceleration and finding the total angle of rotation. A helpful resource for this problem is provided.
aaronb

Homework Statement

A dentist's drill starts from rest. After 3.30 s of constant angular acceleration, it turns at a rate of 2.52 multiplied by 104 rev/min.

Find the drill's angular acceleration.

Determine the angle through which the drill rotates during this period

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega[/tex]f=[tex]\omega[/tex]i+[tex]\alpha[/tex]t
[tex]\vartheta[/tex]f=[tex]\varthetai[/tex]+[tex]\omega[/tex]it+(1/2)[tex]\alpha[/tex]t2

The Attempt at a Solution

2.52x10^4=0+[tex]\alpha[/tex]3.3=7636.36
[tex]\vartheta[/tex]f=0+0+1/2=4150

I know the answers are in the wrong units so can someone tell me what to do change my rev/min into rad/s2 for the first part and to find rad for the second part?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the link LowlyPion it helped me a lot.

1. What is angular position?

Angular position is the measure of the angle at which an object is located with respect to a reference point or axis. It is usually measured in radians or degrees.

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates or moves along a circular path, while linear speed is the rate at which an object moves in a straight line. Angular speed is measured in radians per second, while linear speed is measured in meters per second.

3. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which the angular speed of an object changes over time. It is measured in radians per second squared. In other words, it is the amount by which the angular speed increases or decreases in a given amount of time.

4. How is angular acceleration related to torque?

Angular acceleration is directly proportional to the torque applied to an object and inversely proportional to its moment of inertia. This means that a higher torque will result in a greater angular acceleration, while a higher moment of inertia will result in a lower angular acceleration.

5. Can angular position, speed, and acceleration be negative?

Yes, angular position, speed, and acceleration can be negative. This depends on the direction of rotation of the object. A negative angular position means that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of a positive angular position. Similarly, a negative angular speed or acceleration indicates that the object is slowing down or rotating in the opposite direction of a positive angular speed or acceleration.