Angular speed of a disk, given a force

In summary, the problem involves a 7 kg disk mounted on a frictionless axle with a string wrapped tightly around it. A constant force of 45 N is applied through a distance of 0.9 m, and the question is asking for the resulting angular speed. Using the equations for kinetic energy and moment of inertia, the work-energy theorem is applied to solve for the angular velocity, which yields the correct answer.
zalnas

Homework Statement

A uniform-density 7 kg disk of radius 0.27 m is mounted on a nearly frictionless axle. Initially it is not spinning. A string is wrapped tightly around the disk, and you pull on the string with a constant force of 45 N through a distance of 0.9 m. Now what is the angular speed?

Homework Equations

Krot = .5*I*omega2
Idisk = .5*m*R2
K = .5*m*v2
where I is the moment of intertia

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted setting Krot equal to the force applied times the distance over which it is applied. I then plugged in I using the given information, and solved for the period from the Krot equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it will help you to realize a couple equations relating to torque

[tex]\tau = I \frac{d \omega}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]\tau = \mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{F}[/tex]

Though I am not entirely sure what the problem means by "and you pull on the string with a constant force of 45 N through a distance of 0.9 m" maybe you will and you will be on your way ;)

Thanks for the reply.

I tried setting the two equal:
.5*7*.272 d[tex]\omega[/tex]/dt = .27*45

Which yielded 47.62 m/s. However, that isn't the correct answer.

Oh wait, my bad, I know what the line is alluding to now. Sorry for leading you astray. Yeah, you had the right idea before.

[tex]W=Fd[/tex]
[tex]Krot=.5I\omega^2[/tex]

Work energy theorem ought to work pretty well here. Seems you did that, so why did you solve for the period? Solve for angular velocity.

Ah, I'm not sure why I solved for the period. I got the correct answer, thank you very much!

Related to Angular speed of a disk, given a force

1. What is angular speed and how is it different from linear speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is different from linear speed, which measures how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular speed is measured in radians per second, while linear speed is measured in meters per second.

2. How is the angular speed of a disk affected by a force?

The angular speed of a disk is directly proportional to the magnitude of the force applied to it. This means that the greater the force, the faster the disk will rotate. However, the direction of the force also plays a role in determining the direction of the rotation.

3. Can the angular speed of a disk be negative?

Yes, the angular speed of a disk can be negative. This indicates that the disk is rotating in the opposite direction than what is considered positive. The sign of the angular speed is determined by the direction of the rotation, with clockwise rotations being considered positive and counterclockwise rotations being considered negative.

4. How is the angular speed of a disk related to its moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. The angular speed of a disk is inversely proportional to its moment of inertia. This means that the larger the moment of inertia, the slower the disk will rotate for a given force.

5. Can the angular speed of a disk be constant?

Yes, the angular speed of a disk can be constant if the force applied to it remains constant. However, if the force changes, the angular speed will also change. Additionally, external factors such as friction can also affect the angular speed and cause it to change over time.