Calculating Neutron Velocity in a Neutron Velocity Selector - Help Needed!

In summary, the question is about the velocity of neutrons passing through a neutron velocity selector, where two discs are rotated at a constant angular speed of 1000 revolutions per minute with a 3 second of arc angular separation between slots. The velocity of the neutrons can be calculated using the formula V = omega x radius and it is approximately 7200000 m/s.
mcolem
Angular Speed Question, Please Help!

I have this question I am stuck on and I don't understand and need help:

In a neutron velocity selector, two thin discs of a neutron absorbing material are rigidly mounted on a shaft 1 meter apart and rotated with constant angular speed of 1000 revolutions per minut. There is a slot in each disc and the angular separation between slots is 3 seconds of arc. What would be the velocity of the neutrons which pass through this system?

Physics news on Phys.org
3 seconds of arc is what fraction of a revolution? (1 revolution = 360 degrees.)

I know that 1000 rev/min is about 105 radians/second. The frequency is 16.7 Hz and the time would be 0.0599 seconds. But, I don't know how to find the angle.

Start by answering my question. Look it up if you have to.

Doc Al said:
3 seconds of arc is what fraction of a revolution? (1 revolution = 360 degrees.)
It would be 50 revolutions every 3 seconds.

"seconds of arc" is a measure of angle, not time:

1 revolution = 360 degrees
1 degree = 60 minutes (of angle)
1 minute = 60 seconds (of angle)

So, if one revolution is 360 degrees and 1 degree is 60 minutes, then 3 seconds would be 3 seconds/3600 seconds = 8.333e-4 degrees?

mcolem said:
I have this question I am stuck on and I don't understand and need help:

In a neutron velocity selector, two thin discs of a neutron absorbing material are rigidly mounted on a shaft 1 meter apart and rotated with constant angular speed of 1000 revolutions per minut. There is a slot in each disc and the angular separation between slots is 3 seconds of arc. What would be the velocity of the neutrons which pass through this system?
I don't quite know what formula to use. Is it V= omega x radius or arc length= velocity x time? Do I add the velocity of both discs or is it just on velocity?

By the time the neutron travels from one disc to the other, the disc should have rotated by 3 seconds.(Here 1 second = 1/3600 degrees.)
The disc makes 1000 revs. per min. which implies it rotates at the rate of 6000 deg. per sec. i.e. 6000*3600 seconds(angle) per sec.
Therefore it takes 1/(7200000) secs. to rotate 3 by seconds.In this time it travels 1m.Therefore its velocity is 7200000 m/s.

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed is the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear speed is the rate of change of linear displacement. This means that angular speed measures how fast an object is rotating, while linear speed measures how fast an object is moving along a straight line.

3. How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can be represented by the formula: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular speed, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

4. What are some real-life examples of angular speed?

Some real-life examples of angular speed include the rotation of a Ferris wheel, the spinning of a ceiling fan, and the movement of a car's wheels while turning.

5. How is angular speed related to angular velocity?

Angular speed and angular velocity are closely related, but they are not the same. Angular velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account the direction of rotation, while angular speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of rotation. However, the two are related by the formula ω = v/r, where ω is the angular speed, v is the linear speed, and r is the radius of rotation.