Angular acceleration from angular velocity

In summary, the problem is that the data is not evenly spaced, and the angular acceleration must be calculated by taking the derivative of the speed with respect to time.
robothito
Hello everybody. I would really appreciate some help

Homework Statement

I have some problem where I have measured angular velocity data. This measurements are not equally spaced, meaning there were taken after some (variable) delay passed.

I need to find what is the angular acceleration at each point of measurement.

Homework Equations

ummmm I don't know... perhaps α= Δω/Δt??

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have some measures like

Code:
Time(μs)    Speed(rad/s)           Accel(rad/s^2)
------------------------------------------------------------
15115        2.078458          
24184       3.464097                  91.67310552 ??
31238       4.453629
37207        5.263176
42474        5.964667

My question is how to fill the Acceleration values...

I have tried accel=(speed2-speed1)/(time2-time1) (see the 91.67310552)

Is this flawed??

The graphic of the speed show a almost linear increase of speed (until it becomes constant), so by theory this should give a constant acceleration and then 0 right? But my calculations become kind of crazy after a whileand give a zigzag curve after a promising start...

so can anyone check if my ideas are ok?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
robothito said:
I have tried accel=(speed2-speed1)/(time2-time1) (see the 91.67310552)
That's a fine way to do it. But you seem to have done the calc wrong. I get 153, not 91.7.
You can calculate four angular acceleration values from your data, and they make a nice smooth progression, with a slight, gradual decline from the original value, which seems realistic.

Thank you very much for your reply.
Yeah I realized my calculation mistake. Thanks.
I did the calculations for all the data and I got the following graphs
speedaccel.jpg

Well although the speed graphs seems quite nice, the acceleration graphs have some ups and downs. I suppose physical systems are not the same as theory so instead of the square curve I was expecting I got that. Seems close enough I guess..

Thanks again for the help. It is very appreciated. It has been years since I took physics and frankly I remember very few... :frown:

robothito said:
Thank you very much for your reply.
Yeah I realized my calculation mistake. Thanks.
I did the calculations for all the data and I got the following graphs
View attachment 97468

Well although the speed graphs seems quite nice, the acceleration graphs have some ups and downs. I suppose physical systems are not the same as theory so instead of the square curve I was expecting I got that. Seems close enough I guess..

Thanks again for the help. It is very appreciated. It has been years since I took physics and frankly I remember very few... :frown:
The zigzags suggest rounding error. Can you post the data for that part?

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It measures how quickly the angular velocity of an object is changing. It is usually represented by the symbol alpha (α) and is measured in radians per second squared.

2. How is angular acceleration related to angular velocity?

Angular acceleration is directly proportional to angular velocity. This means that as angular velocity increases, so does angular acceleration. However, the direction of angular acceleration may be different from that of angular velocity.

3. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where ω represents angular velocity and t represents time.

4. What is the difference between angular acceleration and linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly the angular velocity of an object is changing, while linear acceleration is a measure of how quickly the linear velocity of an object is changing. Angular acceleration is relevant for objects that are rotating, while linear acceleration is relevant for objects that are moving in a straight line.

5. How is angular acceleration used in real-world applications?

Angular acceleration is used in many real-world applications, such as in the design of cars, airplanes, and other vehicles that involve rotational motion. It is also important in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, where precise control of angular acceleration is necessary for performing complex movements. Additionally, angular acceleration is used in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior and stability of rotating systems.