Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Animal Haters thread

1. Mar 2, 2013 #1
    Yep, you heard that right. Animal haters thread. This is not to be confused with the insect (protostome) haters thead, which several of my, well, anyway...

My beef is with the coming spring/sumer season, where all these &*%$#@*& dog owners like to let their noisy dogs disturb my concentrating on solving the TOE!! Helloo!!!

You can't imagine how this infuraites me. I hate dogs, I hate dog owners, and I especially hate dog LOVERS! Am I alone?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2013 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Be nice. The only time that Duke will bark is when he sees something out of place, or he sees a new potential friend(usually human) and wants to meet-up.

An older lady that lived here called him the "neighborhood" watch-dog.

4. Mar 2, 2013 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like other people's dogs OK. But after owning 30+ years of dog after dog after dog, I'm not enthusiastic about getting another one. This will probably change in time.

But people who are dog-crazy, who talk talk talk about all the silly/goofy/naughty/brilliant things their doggies do...yeah, that can get tiresome.

5. Mar 2, 2013 #4
    I like all animals when they're in the wild away from me. I don't think anyone should go out there and shoot them. But I'm coming close to shooting some geese. Those things are the most annoying animals ever. They poop everywhere. They get into loud arguments with each other and sound horrible. They WALK... SLOWLY across roads in a line... even though they can fly. What an awful creature.

6. Mar 2, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You hate somebody just for owning a dog??

I only hate people for hurting me intentionally or for hurting somebody I like. But I must be old school...

7. Mar 2, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I would rather spend all eternity with dogs than spend more than a week holed up with a human :wink: Animals don't know any better. On the other hand when my neighbors used to bicker all the time at the top of their voices I felt like burning down the entire street.

8. Mar 2, 2013 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That would be animal cruelty...

9. Mar 2, 2013 #8

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

That's it. Now I'm never doing Reed. Stewart > every functional analysis book ever made.

10. Mar 2, 2013 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm going to replace all your Led Zeppelin music with Justin Bieber.

11. Mar 2, 2013 #10

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So you hate all math lovers? :biggrin:

12. Mar 2, 2013 #11

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Too far man, too far. Now I'm going to spam your facebook with the word module over and over.

13. Mar 2, 2013 #12

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I do now thanks to micro!

14. Mar 2, 2013 #13

atyy

Science Advisor

Bieber > Stewart or Stewart > Bieber ?

15. Mar 2, 2013 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

They are both minimal elements.

16. Mar 2, 2013 #15
    Nopes. I hate how dog owners show smugness similar to mac owners. I love street dogs, though. BTW, I'm against owning any pets and turning a place into freaking Animal Planet show.

17. Mar 2, 2013 #16
    I very much like to walk. I happen to live in a neighborhood where just about every house is "protected" by some near-rabid canine who thinks no one should be walking past the front of their territory. Pedestrians are snarled and barked, and chased the length of the front fence until the torch is passed onto the next growling mongrel in the next house. The noise is sometimes unbelievable.

If someone doesn't train the dog to know the difference between when it's useful to bark and when it isn't, you're looking at thousands of false alarms for every good one. I think most of these people end up tuning their dog's bark completely out.

18. Mar 2, 2013 #17
    Yes, I believe Zooby's got it right. I don't walk, but jog around my neighborhood, with my cool Brooks "beast" running shoes...Well anyway..I start my jog by walking for about half a mile and Zooby's right, these dogs will meet you at one end of the property, and let you know just how much they like you until you reach the end of the fence, just to be "picked up" by the next salubrious canine.

Back at home...its the unpredicatability of the barking that gets to me. Everything could be quiet for a while and then all of a sudden there's a violent volley of barking that startles you. I don't wanna be startled while listening to Leonard Susskind vainly try to educate continuing education students on what Christoffel symbols are. Sorry, call me sensitive.

In any case, this thread isn't just about dogs, I hate sharks too. Yes, I know they are one of the most successful and long lived vertebrates on the planet, but they are not "man's best friend" as the beloved canine ostensibly seems to be. Just ask the boys from the USS Indianapolis, my experience surfing on Oahu’s west coast Makaha breaks, or this poor guy from New Zealand who just wanted to go out for a morning swim before he went home and used his Jack LaLane juicer.
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/27/world/asia/new-zealand-shark-attack

19. Mar 2, 2013 #18
    You may not have met the right shark. Thresher Shark, fried in butter with a twist of lemon, is a truly great shark.

20. Mar 2, 2013 #19
    Good one Zooby, that reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode where the aliens come down with a handbook entitled, "How to serve humans." Remember that one...

21. Mar 2, 2013 #20
    "To Serve Man," was the title. Had nothing to do with sharks.

Aliens are unpalatable however you cook them. Such is the scuttlebutt here at Area 51.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook