Another Comparison of Integrals

• Thread starter Jacobpm64
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Use the box and the behavior of rational and exponential functions as [tex] x \rightarrow \infty [/tex] to predict whether the integrals converge or diverge.

Here is the box:
[tex] \int^\infty_1 \frac{1}{x^p} dx [/tex] converges for p > 1 and diverges for p < 1.

[tex] \int^1_0 \frac{1}{x^p} dx [/tex] converges for p < 1 and diverges for p > 1.

[tex] \int^\infty_0 e^{-ax} dx [/tex] converges for a > 0.

Here is the problem I need help with:
[tex] \int^\infty_1 \frac{x^2+1}{x^3 + 3x + 2} dx [/tex]

Homework Equations

The box above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this integral is less than [tex] \int^\infty_1 \frac{1}{x} dx [/tex]. I also know that [tex] \int^\infty_1 \frac{1}{x} dx [/tex] diverges. This does not help me though because I can not use a diverging integral to say that a smaller integral is also diverging. This is where I'm confused.

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is it greater than say, 1/(100*x)? Does the integral of 1/(100*x) converge or diverge?

1 / (100x) diverges.

How do I tell which integral is greater?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Estimate ruthlessly. Eg. would you believe (x^2+1)/(x^3+3*x+3)>x^2/(x^3+3*x^3+3*x^3).

You should. I've made the numerator less and the denominator bigger. (x>1). Now simplify the RHS.

So it's more of guessing to pick something that's bigger?

Your RHS simplifies to 1/(7x).. which diverges..

So, we can also say that the original integral diverges..

So, for your RHS, did you just pull random numbers out of the sky until you figured it would be smaller than the original integral.. so that you could prove divergence?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Sure. I just made the numerator smaller and the denominator bigger in such a way that I could easily simplify and still have a divergence. Not that much 'guesswork' involved.

All right, makes a lot of sense.

Thanks a lot.