1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another coordinate conversions.

1. Nov 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The actual question is to evaluate the integral. All I need help on is the setting up part.

Instead of making a thread for each, I will post 3 integral question with my attempts.

Just tell me if you see something wrong from rectangular to spherical conversion. Thanks.

1) Evaluate the integral
    [tex]\int\int\int_{E} e^\sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2) dv[/tex]

where E is enclosed by the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2 = 9 in the first octant

This is what I got in spherical coordinate :

[tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{0}[/tex][tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{0}[/tex][tex]\int^{3}_{0} e^\rho\rho^2 *d\rho*sin(\phi)d\phi*d\theta[/tex]

Now for the seconds one :

Evaluate the integral :

[tex]\int\int\int_{E}x^2 dV[/tex]

where E is bounded by the x-z plane and the hemisphere y = sqrt(9-x^2-z^2) and y = sqrt(16 - x^2 - z^2)

Here is my integral setup in spherical coordinates :

[tex]\int^{\pi}_{0}[/tex][tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{0}[/tex][tex]\int^{4}_{3} (p^2*sin^2(\phi)*cos^2(\theta) )* p^2d\phi * sin(\phi) d\phi * d\theta[/tex]

And for the last one :

Evaluate the integral by converting it into spherical coordinate :

In rectangular coordinate :

[tex]\int^{1}_{0}[/tex][tex]\int^{\sqrt(1-x^2}_{0}[/tex][tex]\int^{\sqrt(2-x^2+y^2)}_{\sqrt(x^2+y^2)} xz *dzdydx[/tex]

Here is my partial attempt to convert it into spherical coordinate, but some are missing because I am not sure what it is supposed to be.

[tex]\int^{2*pi}_{0}[/tex] [tex]\int^{?}_{?}[/tex] [tex]\int^{2}_{?} xz \rho^2 d\rho sin(\phi)d\phi d\theta[/tex]

where x = p sin(phi) cos(theta) and z = p*cos(phi)

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2
    If anyone could help on any of the 3 problems, checking if my conversion is correct, then
    I would really appreciate.

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that looks good.

Since z includes both positive and negative values, [itex]\phi[/itex] will have to go from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex].

Since x ranges from 0 to 1, we are in the right half space. That means that [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex], not 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. For each x, y ranges from 0 to [itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex] or the circle [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex]. Finally, for each (x,y), z ranges between the cone [itex]z^2= x^2+ y^2[/itex] and the sphere [itex]z^2= 2- x^2-y^2[/itex] (or [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 2[/itex] which just happen to have the circle [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex], z= 1 as intersection. In spherical coordinates that cones is [itex]\rho^2cos^2(\phi)= \rho^2 sin^2(\phi)[/itex] or [itex]tan^2(\phi)= 1[/itex], [itex]\phi= \pi/4[/itex] and sphere is [itex]\rho^2 cos^2(\phi)= 2- \rho^2 sin^2(\phi)[/itex] or [itex]\rho^2= 2[/itex], [itex]\rho= \sqrt{2}[/itex]

[itex]\rho[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] (the distance from (0,0,0) to each point on the circle of intersection), [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi/4[/itex].

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  5. Nov 16, 2009 #4
    There is no way to give reps or something similar, because you earned a million of them.
    Thanks a lot, as usual.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook