1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another DC Circuit (But more complicated with a SWITCH and Capacitor!)

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the circuit shown below, the capacitors are initially uncharged. At t=0, the switch S is closed.

a) Determine the current in each resistor immediately after the switch is closed.
    b) Determine the current in each resistor a very long time after the switch is closed.
    c) Determine the voltage across the capacitor a very long time after the switch is closed.

After the switch has been closed for a very long time, it is reopened.

d) Determine the initial current I0 through the 100 ohm resistor, as a function of time after the switch is reopened.

e) Determine I(t), the current through the 100 ohm resistor, as a function of time after the switch is reopened.

f) How long after the switch is reopened does the charge on the capacitor fall to 10% of its fully charged state?

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    V=IR
    I through a capacitor is I = Cdv/dt = Q/C
    Kirchoff's Loops Rules

3. The attempt at a solution

a) Immediately after the switch is closed, the capacitor behaves ls a short circuit and hence no current flows through the 100 ohm resistor.

I in the 200 ohm resistor = V/R=15V/200ohms=.075A

b) long after the switch is closed, the capacitor is fully charged and behanves as an open circuit. All of the current passes through both resistors.

Left Loop Clockwise:
    15V-200ΩI1-100ΩI1=0
    Right Loop Counter clockwise: Q/C-100ΩI1-0

I1 is the only current passing through both the resistors

I= 20A

as for the rest of the parts, I want to make sure I get A and B right before I move on.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I do not understand. What is that I=20 A? A few hundred ohm and 15 V emf, how can be the current 20 A?

ehild

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3
    I = C dv/dt is correct.

But I = Q/C is not. Don't use it. V = Q/C is the correct equation.

5. Apr 11, 2010 #4
    I solved the top equation and that's what I got. Did I label my currents right?

6. Apr 11, 2010 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you mean 15V-200ΩI1-100ΩI1=0? That is 15 V = 300Ω * I1. Do you mean I1= 20 A?

ehild

7. Apr 11, 2010 #6
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

8. Apr 11, 2010 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Amazing. Tell me please, how much is 300*20???

ehild

9. Apr 11, 2010 #8
    A lot, 6000. Which, is wrong.

I'm asking for your help because I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, ehild.

10. Apr 11, 2010 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have an equation. 300 I = 15. This equation is correct.
    Solve it for I. Is not it 15/300 A?

ehild

11. Apr 11, 2010 #10
    Oh. Now I see what I was doing wrong. Simple Math error. I = 0.05A

12. Apr 11, 2010 #11
    Moving on to part C now.

When the switch is closed for a very long time, the capacitor starts discharging through the resistors. After a long time, the voltage across the capacitor becomes equal to the voltage across the 100 Ω resistor.

V= IR=(0.05A)(100Ω)=5V

13. Apr 11, 2010 #12
    That's right. After a very long time, the capacitor becomes essentially an open circuit.

14. Apr 11, 2010 #13
    Thanks Melawrghk. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?