Another disagreement with course Line integral homework

In summary, there is a discussion about evaluating a line integral using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus on Wiley Plus. There is confusion about the path chosen and whether the point (11,0) is relevant. The expert concludes that the solution in the gray box is correct and that Wiley Plus is wrong.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6669/wileyplus.png

The field is conservative.

With their description of C, and using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus for Line Integrals, would you evaluate

f(11/sqrt(2), 11/sqrt(2)) - f(0,0)

or

f(11/sqrt(2), 11/sqrt(2)) - f(11,0)

?

Their description of C, to me, is that we start at the origin and end at (11/sqrt(2), 11/sqrt(2)).

However, their "show solution" shows them doing:

Either I don't understand, or wiley plus has been wrong for the dozenth time. FYI my answer looks so strange because I kept changing it up to get it to accept.

The whole point of path independence is that I don't give a crap about where the circle or whatever starts, the point (11,0) is completely irrelevant!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6669/wileyplus.png

The field is conservative.

With their description of C, and using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus for Line Integrals, would you evaluate

f(11/sqrt(2), 11/sqrt(2)) - f(0,0)

or

?
It is not that simple. You have to integrate along a line from (0;0) to (11/√2;11/√2).

You can choose the path between (0;0) and (11/√2;11/√2) as you like. One easy choice is along the x-axis from (0;0) to (11/√2;0), then vertically up from (11/√2;0) to (11/√2;11/√2).

Show your work.

ehild

Last edited by a moderator:
Wiley Plus is wrong. You're right.

1MikeCrash,
yes, the solution in the gray box is correct. I did not realize that it was yours.

ehild

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral in which the function being integrated is evaluated along a specific curve or path in a multi-dimensional space. It is used to calculate quantities such as work, mass, or fluid flow along a certain path.

2. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral is evaluated over a single variable, while a line integral is evaluated over a curve or path in multiple dimensions. This means that a line integral takes into account not only the function being integrated, but also the specific path along which it is being evaluated.

3. Why are line integrals important in physics and engineering?

Line integrals are important in physics and engineering because they allow us to calculate physical quantities such as work, mass, and fluid flow along a specific path. This is particularly useful in situations where the path is not straight or simple, such as in fluid dynamics or electromagnetism.

4. What is the formula for calculating a line integral?

The formula for calculating a line integral is ∫C F(x,y) ds, where F(x,y) is the function being integrated, C is the curve or path along which the function is being evaluated, and ds represents an infinitesimal element of the curve. This formula is also known as the "fundamental theorem of calculus for line integrals."

5. How can I solve a line integral problem?

To solve a line integral problem, you will need to determine the function being integrated, the curve or path along which it is being evaluated, and the limits of integration. You can then use the formula ∫C F(x,y) ds to calculate the integral. It may also be helpful to break the integral into smaller components and use techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.